Cereal Bottles:::::what do U think?

My 8 month old's doctor told me he needs to eat 3 solid food meals a day because of belly problems. But he wont accept the taste of them!!!! So I bought one of those bottles that will feed the solid foods out of them and he is learning to like the new baby food. Do you think this is a bad idea? I thought that after he learns to like them he maybe will eat out of the spoon????
When I try to feed it to him out of a spoon now he buckles his mouth shut!!!!!

So, again, my question is do u think this is a smart idea or will it eventually backfire?? Did you ever use these bottles?

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 8:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard they are not recommended. Eating from a spoon is a developmental milestone that helps with other milestones and feeding solids from a bottle can delay some things. That being said, my little brother who is 15 now was fed from a feeder bottle and he had no issues with speech or anything. I never personally used one with my child though. We started with cereal from a spoon at 4 months and he adapted to it well.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Cereal bottles are a choking risk, and the solids can cause more tummy troubles. Get a second opinion.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I was told from my sons Dr. to never feed cereal from a bottle. For the exact reasons as the 2 pp's. It is just a bad idea all together. I would just keep at it with the spoon. At 8 months old you could try encouraging him to start picking things up and putting them into his own mouth. That was a big thing with my son at around that exact age. He stopped eating from a spoon (when I was feeding it to him) because he wanted to do it himself. So that is when I started cutting soft foods up really small and he started doing it himself. That is also about the time when we started teaching him to spoon feed himself. Granted it was quite messy and funny at first and it took awhile for him to get the hang of it, but he started eating a lot more! Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• Some babies refuse to be spoon fed, and will only begin to eat solids when they are able to pick it up and feed themselves. Try putting out some soft foods that he can pick up and feed himself (chunks of soft cooked sweet potato, bits of soft ripe banana or avocado.
    Also keep in mind that babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• when babies "drink" their solids from a bottle, they don't learn to eat slow and figure out that they are full. This can cause them to become overweight. This is what my ped told me.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 4:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't understand why an 8 month old baby NEEDS 3 solid meals a day. If he's refusing, he's likely not ready.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2009