C-section put under?

I have heard of being put under (anestesia) during a csection is this true and have you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes they put people completely under for certain circumstances such as epidural not working or extreme anxiety from the mother.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I opted for general anesthesia for all 3 of my Csections. They may tell you that you HAVE to have an epidural or spinal, that you have no choice in the matter --- but it's simply not true.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I had to be put completely asleep because I have blood clotting issues and was on blood thinners while pregnant and that made the risk of a spinal too risky. If it is an emergency c-section and things are not just right then they will put the mom to sleep. If everything is ok and there is no rush then normally, you get a spinal and get to stay awake.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I will add that because I was put to sleep, my husband was not allowed in the OR with me and did not get to cut the cord and I didn't get to hear my baby's first cry and it was about an hour after he was born before I got to hold him and he and I both were pretty sleepy the first few days.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• The difference between a general anesthetic and an e[epidural (and I just learned this today) is that the epidural doesn't completely pass through the placenta to your baby and an anesthetic concentrates and what is a normal dose for you is a HUGE dose for your baby.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I had an emergency c-section and they gave me a spinal...if they would have put me under they might not have been able to wake me up....scary....but the recovery nurse told me that because i have an irregular heatbeat...and am anemic so glad they didnt cut something on accident...ahhh now having twins and another c-section...wish me luck.....
    honey26967

Answer by honey26967 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It is one option. They will often do that if you have an emergency c-section if you don't already have an epidural. I had to have an emergency c-section, but fortunately, I'd had an epidural, so they were able to use that to anesthetize me. I'm glad that I was able to be awake, and hear my son's first cry and hold him and such. If you have to have a c-section, find out about the hospital's policy on seeing your baby while you're in recovery. I don't think it was the hospital's policy to allow the baby to come in, but I absolutely insisted, and my husband did too, and they did bring him in, so I was able to start nursing him about 40 minutes after he was born. I was so grateful for that!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I ve heard that they can just give you an epidural for a c-section so that your awake when your baby comes out..
    EmilyJolly

Answer by EmilyJolly at 12:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2009