His first diaper rash!!!!!!!

My son is 8 months old and has never had a diaper rash, until today!! He woke up and the backside of his penis is beat red. I've been putting ointment on it all day but my question is how long does it take to go away?? Shouldn't it of faded or something by now??? It's been a whole day.

Should I call the Dr. or does it normally take longer to go away?

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 8:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• after about 24-48 hours, it should fade some.

BTW make sure it is completely dry before applying the ointment or the ointment will just trap that moisture against his skin.
    Anonymous

• it takes a few days but it also depends what kind of cream you r using to me the best is a&d works wonderfully and make sure your baby stays real dry to help heal quicker
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My son gets that every now and then and it kind of reminds me of a yeast infection. He has some prescription med that clears it up within a day every single time.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• should I put baby powder on it?
    MandyAshley

Answer by MandyAshley at 8:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I never used baby powder at all on my son because babies can breathe in the powder when it puffs out. The pediatrician told me not to use it.
    Eucerin Aquapohor is awesome and worked well for us. It really providea a good shield between the skin and wetness.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If you are not using Butt Paste (yes that is what it is called) use it, it is a miracle invention. You can get it at Target. Good Luck!!
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 9:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2009