Jealous Dog Behavior?

In the last two weeks it seems as though my dog might be getting jealous of our son. My fiance and I have our dog for 2 1/2 years and our son is 10 1/2 months old. In the last two weeks whenever we leave the house he goes into our son's room and pulls his clothes out of the dirty clothes basket and tears them up. We started shutting the door to his room when we leave. Now he looks for his little toys and tears them up while we are gone. Is this normal? Is this a jealous behavior? What can we do to eliminate this behavior?

TeaAndrews

Asked by TeaAndrews at 8:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pets

• i don't think it really has anything to do with your son. to me it sounds like seperation anxiety. when you leave close all the doors to rooms, make sure to put away anything you don't want him to chew, and get him toys and chews for him to have when you leave the house.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• this is jealousy definantly but I am not sure what to tell you to do except never ever turn your back on this dog w/your baby.I would consult a professional on this one because we can all give suggestions but whew...it's your baby.good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• ur dog can be picking up from the fact that he is no longer the baby of the house...if b4 the baby your dog was spoiled and it stopped he can sense it..try giving him as much time as your baby and he'll see he wont have to fight for both of your attention
    bobbys4eva

Answer by bobbys4eva at 8:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• oh, and no matter how much you love and trust your dog never leave him alone with the baby. any dog can turn on a dime.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2009