why isn't wikipedia a valid source?

Whenever I want to look up something...wikipedia is always the first thing to pop up....I'll read the whole thing...as well as read other websites that say alot of the same...but when I try to show someone a great description instead of pasting from several websites I'll paste it from wikipedia...then I get the whole WIKIPEDIA isn't a valid source BS.

Why is it not a valid source? instead of hoping around 10 different websites...I can go to one and covers alot of the same thing.....so who the hell came up with it's not a valid source???

or is it people don't like to get correct information so they just say wikipedia isn't a valid source??

I was researching Islam and was using wikipedia as well as other websites but whenever I would find something I didn't understand I would use wikipedia to try to clarify it...and then I would get the whole wikipedia crap.

Can someone please expalin???? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think a prime example is if you look of polio on wikipedia it use to say (i don't know if it still does) while talking about the vaccines that one can pick up polio "...when monkeys fly our of your butt and turn blue..." Yep. That's how you get polio alright!

I think it's a good place to get some basic information if you aren't debating or writing a paper, but over all, especially on hot button topics, it's not that great.

Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 9:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Because anyone with access to the internet is allowed to change what is on there.
    Anonymous

• Anyone can add things to wikipedia...it doesn't even have to be true. Anyone can post their opinions so it really isn't valid.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 8:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• There is no fact checking or verification on wikipedia - so you have to take what you read on there with a grain of salt. People put stupid and false facts on there.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• yeah but they still discredit my information if I provide other websites BESIDES wiki....but since I listed wikipedia...they take all the information as false.

I just don't get it. oh well....Thank you for your answers!
    Anonymous

• I'm a college student & the teachers absolutely refuse to accept Wiki as a source, because the info is not known to be fact, if that makes sense. It is not verified info, and viewed as opinion. But I still heart Wiki lol :)
    Anonymous

• It can be, you just have to look for disclaimers. Wiki is really good about letting you know when their information is not sourced or is biased.

logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I use wiki for fun ususally
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Anyone with access to the internet can post changes to Wikipedia articles. So theoretically I could get on there and write ANYTHING about ANYTHING, whether I am knowledgeable about it or not. For that reason many people take Wikipedia with a grain of salt.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Wiki might be helpful for getting some background information and other suggestions of where to find information. But as a primary source it's not valid because as people have said it can be edited by anyone. Often people go in and edit articles to fit their particular spin on a topic - so it's not really not necessarily an unbaised source. It would be like trying to argue a point by saying "well my friend says so". People dont' know your friend, don't know her knowledge of the topic - so her opinion is not really a good source if you're trying to make a point.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2009