Should I wake my daughter up or let her sleep?

Lately, my 5 1/2 month old daughter has taken to falling asleep for her early evening nap and won't wake up for the rest of the day. this results in her being awake around 5 or 6 in the morning. if she doesn't get her nap, she gets incredibly ornery and tired. Also, it takes until about midnight to get her to sleep because she's overtired.

Should I wake her up or let her sleep? i've heard that waking up a baby from a nap too often can do more harm that good (what harm, i'm not quite sure about), but her sleeping pattern keeps moving her bedtime earlier and earlier.

MommyToJessica

Asked by MommyToJessica at 8:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try to keep her a wake, or cut her naps shorter. If she is sleeping from her late nap til 6 then you should just go to bed earlier and wake up with her
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 8:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• No harm in waking her up I think. Me personally I would just let her be fussy and not let her take a late nap.

Answer by louise2 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Depends on the time the nap is. I would try to keep baby up or wake her and get her into a routine so she sleeps a bit longer in the mornings for you! Routine is best!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Count your blessings that she sleeps till 5 or 6 that's a good night sleep for all.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 9:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I would try moving her naptime earlier so it doesn't interfere with bedtime. It may take awhile, but try like 10-15 minutes earlier every few days until there is at least 2-3 hours between her last nap and bedtime. Good Luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I would let her nap only for a short amount of time than wake her up and make sure she is active so she will be tired again. I always wake my daughter up froma nap before 2 hrs. on the 1st and at 1 hr on the second, but she is also 15 mons old. I didn't know it was bad!>!>
    LainysMommy

Answer by LainysMommy at 11:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2009