How much longer??

I currently feel like a time bomb. I am 34+ weeks pregnant with twins, just got out of the hospital a few days ago. They were giving me all the medications for pre term labor. Well I am still having contractions, but they aren't a regular pattern, some are painful, some are just uncomfortable. They come every 8 minutes and then space out farther. I went back to the hospital last night with contractions and a lot of pressure. I am still dilated on a little over 4, 80% effaced, and at a +3 station. How much longer do you think it will be before my contractions get regular enough to do something? Bedrest sucks, and even sucks worse when you are having contractions all day long. 1 week now of daily contractions. Thanks for any input on this question. Tiff

JustMeTiff

Asked by JustMeTiff at 7:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I am so sorry you are feeling so awful! This to will pass! The longer they are in the better health they will be in. It would be such a blessing if you were able to take both home at the same time. The longer they are in the better off they will be. So my advice is get a good book and read.....Once the babies are here you won't get the chance to put your feet up...trust me i went on bedrest fought it the whole way and looking back on it....what a true blessing to be able to rest...now I would love to curl up and read a book!
    rmeier6

Answer by rmeier6 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I am sorry, but it would be hard to give you a absolute answer. All I can say is it will be soon. The longer they are in there the healthier they will be. Hang in there, all this pain and annoyance will disappear once your little ones are here!
    JessecaLynn

Answer by JessecaLynn at 8:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Well Tiff no one knows when their coming but them and god..I cant give you an exact time, but my guess would be soon..I know ur uncomfortable and it sucks , I was and only had one in there. But the longer they stay in the better right .. In the end my friend it will be worth it..I think it will be sooner than later love and if ur really that ready then go off bed rest and walk and stuff , I had my daughter at 35 wks and she was 6lbs 6 oz. but everyone is different...I am so sorry your in so much agony love . I wish I could make you feel better...
    rockin_rae

Answer by rockin_rae at 9:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Oh sweetie my heart gose out to you , I know the feeling. It is not like having one , when theres two in there it seems rest will never come. They are almost ready, mine came early and had to stay in the hospital. Sorry no way to rush this. Keep up the good work. I know this is not easy but you are strong and will make it, If you say you are 36 weeks then you have less then 4 four weeks but most twins never make term so theres some good news. I am so sorry I have not been much help. I was on bed rest for a month at the end and they still came to early at over a little more the 4 lbs each. May God give you some much needed rest and peace. May he bring these babies into the world safe.
    dellwithtwins

Answer by dellwithtwins at 9:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I wish I could help. I never went through something like this. Sadly I don't think the Dr.s will do much more until either your water breaks or your contractions are constant. Do what you can to stay as comfortable as you can, keep moving as well. You really want those babies to stay as long as possible in that belly. As painful as it is for you right now, you don't want NICU babies. Many people swear that water helps them to relax, so try to soak in the tub or relax in a pool if you can. Hang in there!!
    twinx2

Answer by twinx2 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• They are going to keep trying to stop the contractions as long as possible. I know it's uncomfortable but just remember, the longer they remain in your uterus the better. Hugs!
    Irelyn

Answer by Irelyn at 9:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Sweetie, you've had some excellent advice so far. I've never had twins, just my one little turkey, so I really don't know. It sounds like it's going to be pretty soon though. I was miserable the last month of my pregnancy and can only imagine what having two in there is like...lol. Like someone else said, walk a little..it might actually help the discomfort (if mom and babies are up for it...lol.) Just keep up the good work and know that it will be over soon.
    tammie77

Answer by tammie77 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I have twins myself and once the pressure began they were here within a few days! Every woman is different though, but I'm sure it won't be long! The longer they are in there the healthier they will be! Just pray for patience and a safe delivery for you babies!
    Angie-blsdx4

Answer by Angie-blsdx4 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• sorry that you are feeling so bad but you have to try to get the babies too 37 weeks it is so much better for the twins good luck I hope that you feel better and remember it is only starting
    kristibaker0604

Answer by kristibaker0604 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I had pre term labor will all 3 of my kids. My earliest was born at 35 weeks. I went through the exact same thing you are going through now. I know how difficult it can be, I cried every time they gave me another shot to stop my labor!! You can pm me if you have any questions. I would love to share my experience with you. (just to let you know my daughter was small, 4lbs 11oz, but completely healthy, and left the hospital the next day.) The best thing that I can tell you is that my ob told me that if you are going to go into labor early, if you labor longer it sends signals to the baby to hurry up and develope faster.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 11:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2008