What is a fat quarter??

I just found a fun tutorial for a pillow but it says to use a fat quarter of fabric. What is that?

tina0728

Asked by tina0728 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It's a quilters' cut of (usually) cotton fabric like calico or other good quilting fabrics. It's a quarter yard of 44" wide fabric, but instead of being a strip that's 9" x 44" as it would be if you just bought 1/4 yd of fabric off the bolt, a fat quarter is an 18" x 22" rectangle. A piece of fabric 36" (1 yard) x 44" is cut into 4 equal pieces.

Fat eighths are 11" x 18" in case you see those advertised somewhere, too.

**Snag the answer from another website**
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• explained perfectly Southerncharmes :)
    Anonymous

• Well thank you. :-) I'm pretty good at googling questions. LOL I was interested myself in knowing what a Fat Quarter was even though I don't do crafts of any kind. Hopefully, one day my "useless knowledge of random facts" will pay off for me! LOL

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Yup...southerncharmes is right. Question answered!
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2009