What is a nuclear scan? I went to get back on my thyroid meds and they oredered a nuclear scan?

please ladies i need to know...

youngandafraid

Asked by youngandafraid at 9:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Health

• They will inject dye into you that will illuminate when scanned. It's radioactive dye. You will probably be instructed to drink LOTS of fluid after it's over so it will be flushed out of your system.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Nuclear Scans involve an IV or injection of a radio isotope that gives off energy. Then they use special cameras that can detect that energy to find out how different structures or organs are working. I have them periodically on my Kidneys..called a Gallium scan. It is painless except for the stick.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• with mine, I had to take this pill & drink a nasty drink (both had the radioactive isotopes in them) then wait like 30 minute and get the scan done. I had the thyroid scan BTW, so I know a little better than the kidney people...

they do it with a pill/drink because your thyroid has to actually metabolize it, not just run through veins in your thyroid.
    Anonymous

• Thanks Anon! That makes total sense about the pill instead of IV. I'm a nursing student and I love learning new facts.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009