Would this make you mad?

OK my niece is almost 10, and she is about to start her period. Her birth mom did not have the sense to explain all of this to her daughter. My sister(her stepmom) and my mom had to explain it all to her. Am i wrong for thinking that it is wrong for the mom to not tell her? Would it upset you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I will give a high-five to your sister for stepping up to the plate and doing what she needed to do for the best interest of her step-daughter. My step-daughter started on her 9th bday and thought she was dying. Her mother never told her anything about it. I have been the one to do all the talks with her about EVERYTHING! I am the one that takes her to the obgyn for check ups (shes 17 now). I agree that sometime mothers are not good at talking about that kind of stuff...it's just taboo, but there are also mothers who don't want to be bothered by it. Tell you sister that if she is comfortable talking about these types of things with her step daughter (and it's ok with her husband) then she should. She might be the only person that this little girl will ever be able to go to and talk to. That is a huge compliment to her!! Rock on to all the GREAT step-parents out there!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Well it's wrong for her mother not to tell her but I don't think you should be upset about it.
    Anonymous

• I guess just be glad that some one had the talk with her! Yes the Mother should have done it but some people just do not have the common sense for that kind of stuff!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• But why not? I am upset about it because it is wrong.
    Anonymous

• Yes the Mother should have told her. But like the pp's above.....just be glad someone did. I don't think you should be upset about it...momentarily irritated maybe.
    Anonymous

• If I were you I'd not stress over it. You can't control her Birth Mom and shouldn't try just do the best YOU can do for your SD....that you can control.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Im not stressed over this, I just found out, so i am still a little upset about it.
    Anonymous

• how do you know "she's about to start her period"? I'm sorry but at the age of 10, maybe the mom did not know she was going to get it so early in life and thought she had longer to explain things. I know that's what happened to me when I started at 11, and that's why my mom hadn't explained anything yet.
    Anonymous

• No we know for a fact she knew cause she told us, she is beginning the signs of starting.
    Anonymous

• well, did she explain her symptoms to her mother and did her mother know like you seem to that it means definite impending menstrual cycle?
    Anonymous