How do you choose??

So, my pediatrician gave us the go ahead to start my 4 month old son on solids.  I went to the store to pick up some rice cereal & I was overwhelmed with options.  I started to feel like my head was spinning so I just turned around & left (without any cereal).  My question is:  how did you choose which cereal to start your son on?  Does anyone have any extra suggestions or advice about starting him on solids??  Thanks!!!

proudmama2772

Asked by proudmama2772 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They cam out with DHA fortified ones recently that I bought a lot. Don't buy the ones with fruit in them yet until you have ruled out allergies. Rice cereal is the one least likely to cause an allergic reaction but I had to give my DD oatmeal due to constipation issues. Hope this helps :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:02 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I start with rice cereal first and usually, I just find the cheapest brand to get. I agree, don't get the fruit flavored ones yet. I believe you want to wait a few weeks before starting another kind of food and then it will be fruit.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 9:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• the rice cereal is gentle enough on their stomach and system to start on. He might not like the taste or texture, but stick with it. i'm at 3.5 months and we're (twins) are finally getting thehang of it...or at leastone is! And don't worry if he doesn't get the hang of it, or have the patience for it at first (or second..or third..hahahaha) cause it's just new. One of mine is great--the other impatient and willjust scream....so, good luck! Start with rice--single grain. And then as you can start on baby foods, it's stage one---VEGGIES FIRST. Because if you start on sweet fruits--they won't go for the bland veggies....but in saying that, do one food for 3 days to rule out any food allergies....i know that's another month or 2 away but FYI... :) goodluck!
    jsks826

Answer by jsks826 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Don't buy a ton of cereal. When my son started solids at 4 months, we tried just regular rice cereal. He cried and screamed. I thought he wasn't ready so I waited a week and he did the same thing. I tried oatmeal and did the same. I did everything, made it thinner, made it thicker, etc. Nothing worked. So I thought I would just try some applesauce and he ate it right up. After being on baby foods for a while (he loves fruits, veggies and meats) I tried the cereal again and he cried. He just didn't like the cereal. My pediatrician said that it was fine. But not all babies like it so don't buy a lot just in case.

http://1sttimeparents-whatdowedonow.blogspot.com
    NoJo

Answer by NoJo at 10:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My son is 5 months old and has only had cereal 4 times. I am trying to get him used to it. When I went and bought cereal I got a little box of the rice cereal and I bought a brand that was organic. Nature's Best or Earth's Best. I don't recall. It is more expensive though :(
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 12:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Go with sweet pot. carrots vegs
    Anonymous