Is it safe to take Claritin Clear while Prego? Or any Heartburn meds other than tums?

I am about 6 weeks along. Just found out and because of the holidays I haven't been able to get in to see the doc yet. As soon as I get in I will ask but I am going crazy! I have bad allergies. I am constantly sneezing and have a runny nose and a sinus headache. As soon as I found out I was prego I stopped taking my allergy meds (which I take on pill at least once a day) until I can find out if they are ok. I take Claritin Clear (the generic version), I honestly cannot remember if I continued to use them with my daughter (2 years ago). Also I remember being able to take heartburn meds while prego but that was towards the end. Is it ok in the beginning? Between my allergies and the heartburn I haven't been getting much sleep. I am going CRAZY!!!!!!

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 9:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well i know that you can take claritin and ranitidine or zantac for heartburn, that is what i take and that is pretty much what takes my heartburn away, but as you are not that far along im not sure if you can take them since there is greater risks because the baby is at developing stage, just to be on the safe side call you ob and ask them if it is ok to take them! congrats on your baby! :D
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 9:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I took claritin my whole pregnancy and my baby is fine. My doc said the claritin D is not ok to take
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I know you can take Dristan. Contact the doctors office for them to advise which meds are ok. They will tell you the list over the phone.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 9:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• For the heartburn, try Pepcid. I took it regularly through my pregnancy from 14 weeks on. I took Tums as needed as well. You probably know this already, but try to eat small, frequent meals, and try to stay upright for at least 30 minutes after you eat. Also, keep an eye out to see what foods aggravate your stomach. For me, citrus, chocolate, and fried, fatty foods did me in every time. Coffee is another common ones, as well as tomatoes and other acidic foods. Try taking in more vinegar, because it will neutralize the acid in your stomach. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• doctor told me tagament over the counter is also okay to take for heart burn
    jeepwranglrbabe

Answer by jeepwranglrbabe at 10:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2009