Moving a dog overseas

My husband and I are thinking of moving overseas and I was wondering has anyone moved a pet before? I flew her from Tennessee to Nevada, but the thought of sending her hours overseas scares me. I'd rather give her to my mom, then risk losing her, while my dh says that he's afraid she'll be heartbroken and who knows what would happen. (We resuced her and freaks out everytime we leave her-even if its only for a day) I know someone who had a teacup terrier go farther than where we want to go, but I don't know how that worked. My dog is 3 yrs old, 3olbs and healthy. Any suggestions what we should do? Anything would help! Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pets

• you may want to find out from where ever you're moving to what there rules are. your going to need a health certificate for him/her. i know some places they have to be quarentined for a long long time. i think for just hawaii it's either 6wks or 6 mon. if that's the case it maybe better just to leave him/her with mom.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Well we looked into it, I know you can get a pet passport and as long as they have a certificate (just like moving animals in the states) it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I'm worried about is being locked up, going to the bathroom, if they are sedated I've heard animals throwing up and then sufficating. Either way it's a very sucky situation.
    Anonymous

• I too would see how long, if any the quarantine is. Some places can be 6mos. Also I would sedate her, but you wouldn't put her out cold where she's almost in a coma. You can get the crates that have the tray under them so she can potty. I don't think I could leave my babies.

Vet Tech-need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 11:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We went through this a few years ago - We had to go from Washington state to Italy. Our Lab at the time was 8 years old . It broke my heart, but I had to find her a new home (an excellent home) It was a choice of me being broken hearted, or me taking horrible chances with my dogs life. The risks are great - we have all heard about dogs dying while they are in the back of the plane, of dogs breaking loose and getting lost forever, or breaking loose and running into traffic.. horrible stories - I also had to think of how old she would be on the return flight - 11 years old is OLD for a Lab to be traveling around the world. So, I might have been faced with an even worse choice then. Anyway, we made the choice that we thought was best.
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 4:04 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I could never leave my dog behind. There is no way.... It is not that hard to do, just find out what the laws are where you are moving and get the ball rolling now.... I actually rescued a Lhasa Apso out of the street a couple of years ago and placed her with one of my close friends. They found out last May they would be transferred to London so they got the paperwork and bloodwork done immediately. They were allowed to do her quarantine here in the states. It was for 6 months. They left in August for London and left Dalai with her parents and then they shipped her over in September once the quarantine was cleared and she was safe to travel to London. She had a safe and uneventful trip and is happy and healthy now in London with her family. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2009