Have you been burned by the "Church"?

logansmomma2007

Asked by logansmomma2007 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have not but my best friend was. Her mother (who was married) had an affair with the pastor (who was married). My friend was attending a Baptist college and majoring in religion. When all this happened she cut ties with her mom, church and religion all together. That was 15yrs ago and she has never gotten over it. The church was seperated after this happened. Many members left and a new pastor was voted in.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Wow, that is crazy! I have been a member of two churches where adultery occurred.

logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Yes, I feel I was but although it has affected me I try to remember that God is not the church. God sent Jesus for the church. He works through people (we're all sinners) although we constantly fall short and stray as did most of the chosen ones in the Bible.
    momof4kids4211

Answer by momof4kids4211 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I quit going to the Church that I had attended for 11 years. The first time I walked into the Church I felt at home. I loved that church! After a while it didn't feel the same. There were married members having affairs with other married members. It wasn't a happy place to worship plus the pastor was money hungry. We built a nice big wonderful church and he insisted that we had outgrown it in 8 years. I think it was really was the bigger Church that built across the street from us that he actually objected to. They are building another Church now and I think they've lost most all the original members plus a lot more. They don't need a bigger church now! I joined a new Church 3 blocks from my home and am very happy there.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Yes, it was a whirlwind of happenings! Very sad. The pastor is still married but her mom is divorced.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have also been burned by a church. The pastor to the one church I attended was having an affair with his assistant. He was actually, the co-pastor his wife was the pastor. They lived in a very wealthy house and they owned an insurance/tax company. At the beginning of tax season they encouraged everyone to get their taxes done by them, and when the check arrived it was 50% less, because they took out their fees and church fees and every fee in mankind. To make matters worth, one of the church members had their child raped by a teenager in the church and the pastor worshipped, because that kids parents were ass kissers. Well, the little boy was only four and the pastor did not allow the mom to press charges she told her that it would not be good for the church.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 9:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• ... Sounds like the person was burned by her social club, not by a Church. I wonder if people frequently confuse their social community which arises among folks attending the same church, with the actual spiritual ideas and activities which ARE the church ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• We were. My husband was denied an annulment of his brief Las Vegas wedding. "Not enough evidence," they said. In the meantime, a Kennedy got his 20-odd year marriage annulled in the same year.

Tell me where that makes sense: A long-term marriage with children was less valid than a short term mistake made in Sin City?

Yes, this was the Catholic Church.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• The other church I attended they were moving from one church to another, so they asked the members of the church to help with cost, and they said, that God would pay us back in three fold. I had some money saved for my new baby that was about to arrive any minute. My mom and I, decided to do the holy thing and donate money and I also donated my time to help clean, decorate, and even donated a computer. I donated the money I had saved up and my mom gave $1000, we believed that God would pay us back, well it didn't happen that way. We struggled for several months after that. I had to go right back to work a week after I had the baby because money became very tight. I never got a thank you for my time of service nor for the money. I ended up leaving the church and found out that the pastor and his family had ran from their home state for embellishing.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 10:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Gdiamante...I have not seen you since I was breastfeeding...thanks for sharing your story.
    logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009