What can I give my sick son??

What are you giving your LO with a runny nose and eye?? He is almost 6 months. I have been putting Vicks on him, but now his little eye is running too. I have put him in a room with a vaporizer. I really dont want to have to take him to the DR. What are you giving you little sickly??

does little noses help?? Can I even give it to Ryan??

nicky5053

Asked by nicky5053 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes the little noses saline spray helps and can be used for a six year old. What would be concerning is the color of the mucus and the length of time he is sick. If the stuff coming out of his eye is deep yellow or green, I would take him to the doc. He could have an infection.

If it's just cold like symptoms, I would wait about 5 days and see. No need to run to the doc for every little thing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I meant to say 6 month old
    lovinangels

• For a small one, make sure you bulb syringe his nose to keep it from draining so much into his chest. He will hate it though !!!

Other then that I do not know because meds have changed so much now( the regulations). I think little noses is for stuffy noses, but you could check.

Maybe avoid the vicks, It won't help a runny nose or runny eyes anyway. Not sure if the smell would just make things worse.

I don't think this warrents a doctor visit, but you could always call your pedi and ask for med tips.
    Anonymous

• Keep him well-hydrated (for more fluid than just breastmilk, weak fennel tea is good - 1 seed per cup of boiled water) so his body can flush out the illness. Keep his head covered, and his feet warm so that his energy can go to handling the illness instead of being diverted to keep warm. And of course make sure he is warm all over - no bare legs or arms - and held a lot for extra warmth and relaxation. There are homeopathic remedies which help a lot - Hyland's is one homeopathic brand generally available. I myself swear by medicines available through Weleda pharmacy (see their website).
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Ummmm, I think If his eye is running that he may need some antibiotic for that, unless its just water.... but I donno, the runny nose use a vaporizer,and use the LIL noses. Good Luck hope your lil man feels better soon!!
    LainysMommy

Answer by LainysMommy at 10:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• tylenol, antbiotics, and a cool air humidifyer, plenty liquids and lots of smiles! hope ya babe feels better soon!
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2009