what's the best way to file taxes? hrblock? turbo tax?

I'm a single mother of two, make about $40,000 year. for the last 8 years, i made only $13,000 a year, and i filed with turbo tax for free...but now i can't do that! (oh, the financial responsibility of a career)
i don't own a home, and plan to file the standard deduction. anyone have any suggestions?

samkimber80

Asked by samkimber80 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• if you are taking a standard deduction, there is absolutely no reason to pay someone to fill out a 1040EZ for you. don't waste your money.
    If you were taking deductions, it would be totally different, but without them it's so simple anyone can do it.
    If you just don't trust yourself, get the basic turbo tax. it's SO easy and it's far less expensive than an accountant.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Taxact online.
    Anonymous

• I personally would NOT do your own taxes. Alot of people disagree with me on this but I say, H&R Block all the way!
    My husband and I went there for the 1st time last year, we calculated online that we would be getting back about $1,100. We went to HR Block and got $4,400!! They know alot of things you dont know. This was actually even before we were married too so he claimed our son. But having two babies, you will get some good money back. I would really recomend going there becuase they will get your as much money as you deserve back. There was close to 3 grand we didnt even know how to get or even that we COULD get.
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 9:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• We have an accountant do it ... I would NEVER do my own ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• We use Turbo Tax. The first year we did it we have DH uncle (accountant) double check it and we came up with the same numbers.
    Turbo Tax now includes Free e-filing with their software.
    They walk you through all the questions and you just punch in the answers,
    I think it is worth the investment and you can claim it against next years taxes.

I used a tax filing service once and I don't think they claimed enough items.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2009