Does it tick you off when you see people eating food from the grocery store before they buy it?

Almost everytime I food shop I see someone taking and eating food they have not purchased yet, I even saw someone yesterday put the food back on the shelf after they munched on it! I see this everywhere I go, it's not a very classy thing to do...the food is not your own until you pay for it! What do you think?

mekubeku

Asked by mekubeku at 8:06 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Yes that really bothers me. I've only had to open something in the store 2 times and it was because my son had cut himself. I went and picked out a box of bandaids opened it up so he could have one (he really was bleeding, lol). I felt bad but I bought the box so it hsoudn't have mattered much. The 2nd time was because my daughter had a nasty runny nose and I didn't have keelnex on me...so I grabbed a box and opened it. I bought that also, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• As long as it gets paid for then no I dont have a problem with it. I have taken my kids with me shopping and them throw a fit. I give in and let them eat a small bag of chips or someting. Makes my shopping easier. I have never not paid for something that was opened by my kids.
    kimsamomof3

Answer by kimsamomof3 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• i have done it twice... the other day i got a box of gold fish and opened those... it had to be done or the whole store was going to see what i had for breakfast... i have had the worst morning sickness ever... and the other time i opened a bottle of water cause the little boy i had with me was having issues and needed a drink asap and the fountains where in the very back, i paid for both as soon as i went up front
    excited1sttimer

Answer by excited1sttimer at 10:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I've only done this once for myself (when I was pregnant and super hungry to the point of feeling dizzy) and a couple times for my son. I used to work at Target and more than once people would come through with food/drink that was already opened and their check or credit card would decline. They would look at me really sheepishly and walk off. One lady even asked "can i take this" about the drink she had nearly polished off!
    pinkbubbles79

Answer by pinkbubbles79 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I HATE this! :) I see moms do it with kids all the time- OK- I get it, kids get hungry- but that is why I always BRING snacks- I really don't want Ayden thinking that HE can just open a pckg in the store anytime he wants to- it is confusing and better off to just NOT do it :) I think it is rude- it isn't YOURS until you pay for it :) If you are hungry bring a snack! I have forgotten my snack forAyden and acutally just went to the bakery, got a cookie for him (always free ones there) and just kept shopping :) If I was prenant and sick, I would probably do it though :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 2:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I worked at a grocery store, way back when. I didn't mind it if people got hungry or thirsty and opened something that could be scanned.

What was annoying were those that ate produce or bulk items like candy...and then wouldn't say anything about how they had eaten a 1/4 lb of whatever. Or sometimes, they would say I ate some grapes, just charge me extra. How much extra?? LOL. Would it be okay if I put my fist on the scale?

I used to get so angry about stuff like that...after working there for so long, you tend to get bitter. Esp. when you aren't allowed to say anything to them about it.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 3:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Funny thing...I NEVER even once did it with my own kids. I preached the good line of it isn't yours..blah blah blah. With the g/k Im raising I do on occaision. If we've been out a long time and they've been really good and patient. Yeah, I do. However, I never, ever, do it to 'give in' All that teaches them is to throw a bigger fit to get what they want. I tell them before we walk in 'if you throw a fit you will get nothing, period. If you ask over and over for something you WIL NOT get it" They are 4 and 5 and they certainly understand action and conserquence. NO, I have never not paid for something I opened.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• i do it sometimes, but i always pay for it adn its always like a coke or chips, never fruit or anything that goes by wieght.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I ALWAYS munch and shop however I munch on the stuff that isn't done by weight so it really doesn't make a difference. I have learned to bring fruit for the kids because they ALWAYS want to eat the grapes. If I forget to bring so I grab a bag and pay for them and then let the kids just eat away:):)
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 7:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• It doesn't bother me ....HOWEVER it does make the person look low class...IMO..
    LYNDELOU

Answer by LYNDELOU at 1:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2008