how do you get them to stop asking for stuff

My 4 year old DS wants everything, now I know this is normal but how do you mom's explain that this is not possible? We are sooo financially strapped at the moment. And I pray it is only at the moment. Christmas was small which is how it should be, I do not beleive they should get everything but how do you get them to understand that that is all there is?
Thanks Carmen

matthewjsmom

Asked by matthewjsmom at 10:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can't stop him from asking. But you can control your responses to his wanting. It usually is more about how bad a parent feels for not being able to splurge on her child or children. We all don't buy everything all the time but it is nice to know that we can do it every once in a while. The idea that we just can't do it at all is painful. So if this were me: I would tell my son that I really like the item he picked out. That I WISH that I could buy it right now but it costs more money than what I can do right now. Children this age do not understand how you can buy a cart full of groceries but not buy one tiny little toy. Just keep your head up, look him in the eyes, and hold firm. Don't ask him to stop wishing or dreaming. Don't say maybe later.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You just explain to him the best way that you know how. My oldest son is 5 and I am blessed to have an abnormal child. He understands that I am out of work for the time being and he understands that he cannot get everything all of the time. He'll say things like, "Can I get an Iron Man toy when we get back on our feet?" I tell him we'll see and that is that. Just try to explain the value of a dollar the best way you can to a 4 yr old. Good luck:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i want to try this with my kids (though i have to admit i haven't...yet). i want to give my son an allowance (maybe $1 a week?..he's 4), and have him save half of it, and put the other half in the "able to spend" jar. the saved part actually will go into a savings, like every few months or so, and the "able to spend" part will go towards things he wants for, like a new ds game or something. and he will only get extras on his birthday, christmas, etc.
    right now, i'm in the same boat. i think we all want to buy our kids too many things, because we want to see them happy, and that makes US happy! but we end up spoling them, and they don't appreciate the $120 DS you just got them!!!! oh, wait... that was me! lol. well, that's my plan, maybe you can actually act on the idea! good luck with your finances, i feel the burn, too!
    samkimber80

Answer by samkimber80 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• recycled items are homemade robots, cars, and other toys. A box or boxes can be cars, caves, ect... and then have fun. Take those blankets and make some tents and camp out in the house. Those are the memories that he will remember. His mom was so cool for actually getting down on the floor and playing bear with his cool cave box. His mom was so cool that she took juice cans and paper towel rolls to make a robot and name it after him. So go play with your baby boy and enjoy this time. They are only small once. Oh, and my son loves when we play alligator. We climb on the bed, our boat, and wait in eager anticipation as daddy, the gator, comes to chomp and visit the boat. Visits to the park, library - go free and go nature. Oh, and swap toys with other moms in your area. At the library put up a flier for a toy swap. Use those creative mom skills we all seem to get the day they are born.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i know it is hard but when they ask for something try to explain to them that it costs money make them use their own money that they get as gifts and that will start to make them understand the value of a dollar it works after a while give thema dollar and see how much they can get not much that will open their eyes up a little bit
    nizzle

Answer by nizzle at 10:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009