Which convertible car seat do you reccomend?

Given that Munchie is in the 99th percentile for growth and weight I have begun researching replacements for his infant car seat. But all the research in the world doesn't hold a candle to real life experience. So, moms what do you recommend?

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 10:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The Britax Diplomat is great! I have a VW Jetta and it fits in the middle of the backseat. Also, my DD and I were in a head-on collision in May (car was totaled) and she was totally unhurt in her Britax Diplomat seat. It's the best seat and I bought another after the wreck.
    Kynsicat

Answer by Kynsicat at 10:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Britax CS delux Convertible carseat.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Britax Marathon. its the best because its pretty resonably priced and it can be used up to 60lbs. they are a lil pricy but worht every penny. they are by far the safest out there. i have a graco one and it is horrible. i can never get it tight and the cover doesnt stay on right, also the straps are uneven. spend the extra money it well worth it.
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 1:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Britax Marathon hands down is the best in safety and great for big babies. I have 2 big 90th% babies and these have been great. Pricey but my lg 3 year old still fits comfortably with plenty of room to grow.
    love2mommie

Answer by love2mommie at 1:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The safest and best seat for you is (hands down) the one in which the baby fits properly and which fits in your vehicle properly installed! I know people who bought a Britax and couldn't install it in their vehicle properly...smaller car for one thing.

Other than that...we've had good luck with Alpha Omega Elite 3-in-1 and Eddie Bauer 3-in-1. They do only harness up to 40lbs, but my 3 year old is in the 99th+percentile for height and weight...and he still has several pounds to go. They're a decent price at most stores and I know Big Lots has them even cheaper! (less than$150).

After that, (if your son is like mine and didn't slow down his growing! LOL )there is the Apex 65...runs about the same price, harnesses up to 80lbs and then converts to a belt positioning booster. My sons love them!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have the cosco alpha omega 3 in 1. IT's been great so far. Once we got it installed it didn't move. DD is 19 months but sill rear facing. So it's working great. LIke previous poster said, even the most expensive "safest" car seat is useless if it isn't installed properly and fit baby and car correctly.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2009