Living frugally, living minimalistic, eating healthy, etc etc...

I was just wondering if any other moms here feel overwhelmed by trying to live too many "lifestyles". Let me explain, I'm finding it harder and harder to be able to balance things in my life. I love living very frugally (to an extreme that some people don't understand) as well as living and more minimalistic lifestyle. But I also try to live as "all natural", green, and healthy as I can. And well, many times these things just don't coincide with each other! It's hard to pinch pennies when you insist on buying some items/foods that are organic. It's hard to stockpile certain items (like soaps) when you are trying to live a minimalist lifestyle. And then on top of that, doing all these things while being a stay-at-home mom of two under two...it's just so overwhelming sometimes.

I guess this was more of a vent, I just wondered if any other moms have these kinds of problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I have found a similar struggle and since I went back to work outside of the house part-time I find it even harder to plan healthier meals. I have fibromyalgia and two small children and don't often feel like washing vegetables or even making a full meal.. One thing that has helped us in the past, even though it seems more costly in the front end is to join a CSA in the summer or do some co-op shopping with friends. We can split the cost and get organic food for our families.
    ldtchr

Answer by ldtchr at 9:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• THIS IS THE OP

I tried to edit this into my post, but it made it over 1,000 characters.  But I know that I don't need to do all of these things to be happy and I also know that I don't have to be perfect.  I guess I just wish I could find a nice balance to it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I know what you mean. Especially with the "going green" thing. Green cleaners are really expensive even though they're better for you. We've completely switched to using vinegar to clean out house. It's REALLY cheap and works! It does not smell like vinegar in here...the smell goes away when it dries. We buy bleach on occassion for the drain in the kitchen because it smells sometimes.

If eating healthy is costing too much, have you considered growing some of you own foods? I know you said you have 2 young kids, but maybe they could help you with it in a year or so. They might really enjoy it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• THIS IS THE OP

This is actually my first year with a garden. :). My first tomato (from my Early Girl) should be ready to pick by tomorrow actually. I didn't do a huge garden since it's my first and so this is like my "experimental garden" to see how it all goes and if I have a green thumb lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• THIS IS THE OP

I was definitely not done typing out my reply, I posted it by accident. Anyways I was going to say that I do also use natural cleaners (as in vinegar +water). I've told my husband that some people feel their house is clean when it smells like bleach, for me it's when it smells like white vinegar mixed with essential oils :P.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Awesome! I guess I can't offer you any advice then, lol!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2008