Tomarrow I have my diabetes thing/test what should I expect?

Zoeybug

Asked by Zoeybug at 10:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You will get a really sugary drink. Not so good, but drink it fast. A few hours after the test I got really nauseous and had a headache. The doctor told me to drink a sugary drink, because you get a sugar rush then a down. To help stabilize drink a coke or something (caffeine fee). I don't drink caffeine. It's not that bad. The previous posters said they prick your finger, my doctor actually got a whole vial of blood.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If it is just the normal one hour one, they will just give you a bottle of something to drink...you have to drink it down in about 5 mins (its not bad, its almost like sprite or orange pop...obviously not great, but its not that bad) and then they'll prick your finger and test your blood sugar an hour after you finish the drink.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• you will get a drink. Not sure what color yours will be but mine was orange. DRINK IT FAST!!!!!!!!! Don't take your time. and then you will have to sit there for a while...bring something good to read or do...and then they will prick you hand. IT's not that bad
    MadeylnsMom

Answer by MadeylnsMom at 10:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I got the choice of fruit punch or orange. I say go with orange. Its not bad first few drinks but then it just gets sicky sweet and really bad tasting by the end. I did not get my finger pricked, the took a vile of blood afterwards. It gave me a stomach ache for the rest of the night ( I took it in the late afternoon). You dont have to fast if its just the one hour test. Good Luck!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• do they let you leave and come back in an hour or do you have to sit there the whole time??
    Anonymous

• I dont know. I just sat there and read a magazine. But I remember someone running to the gas station one time when i was getting another test done. I think every place is different.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• when they gave me the drink i was considered as signed in and couldnt leave the lab area. this is my 3rd pregnancy and mines coming up soon..they never pricked my finger, always drew blood..im deathly afraid of needles so im dreading it big time.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• oh ya..they take your blood Exactly 1 hour after you drank the drink..and you Have to drink it within 5 minutes
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• for it to be nasty and after you drink that stuff well I kinda felt hyper lol!
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I got the fruit punch flavored one. It was like thick kool-aid! It made me nauseous! My doctor's office was inside the hospital. They told me I could walk around the hospital, but not to leave, and don't eat or drink anything. It really wasn't bad. I had family there with me to keep me company!
    Mommy2Macy

Answer by Mommy2Macy at 1:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2009