Whenever my 10 month old wakes up is it so bad to keep him in bed with me?

So he sleeps most of the night but when he doesnt and wakes up int he wee hours I keep him in bed with me. My boyfriend thinks it is so wrong, and I should stop, I know I cant sleep with him forever...but....should I just put him to sleep in his crib? Or is it okay to baby him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, in fact...baby is programmed to be in bed with you. It's not bad. Really. This will make your child much more independent down the line.

Babies need their moms.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Please don't do this. My sister did it and couldn't get her daughter out of her bed. Her daughter is now 8 and has just started sleeping alone bcause I started speninding more time at my sister's house. Now she's in her own bed every night and I dare her to get out.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• That is how most of the rest of the world does it. Americans are the weird ones that alienate their kids. It's fine, and it will in no way hurt your baby. In fact, if you are both getting more sleep, then you are benefiting from it. It doesn't mean that they will want to sleep with you forever either. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 10:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Not in the least! Do look up attachment parenting on the internet to see the many ways that being a hands-on and affectionate parent makes your life easier, happier, and fosters more intelligent and happy children. ... Our 3rd child DID often come to sleep with me until she was 8. She is now 21, and has always been compassionate, self-confident, and brilliant. For instance, from the age of 9, she was the one who welcomed newcomers into a class or an afterschool group; she actually asked for karate classes and within 3 years was teaching the little kids; and in her schoolwork she excelled. (On her SAT's she got a perfect score twice - both when she was taking it for practice as a high school junior and during her senior year) ... Her older brothers have done similarly well. I cannot for the life of me figure out how any of them was harmed by excessive affection.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Do it! Your baby is only 10 months old! You are not spoiling him by comforting him! Especially at this age...
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 10:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My daughter is 2 and when she wakes up in the morning she comes in and sleeps with my hubby and I for a few hours before we all get up. When she was younger she would do that everyday. Occasionally I would put her back in her bed but for the most part she would just stay in bed with us. She has been slowly weaning her self off of it. She only comes in a few times a week now. I really don't think there is a problem with it. It is your baby. Cuddle him while you have the chance. They grow up so fast! Oh and I'm sorry but I think it is completely up to YOU not your bf.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Our baby is 4 months old and cosleeps with us. It is so much easier when she wakes up to feed too. I love it and right now don't think it's possible to spoil at this age. Even 10 months. They need their mommies. I say "go for it." Enjoy it while it lasts.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I'm glad you ask this because I was wondering the same thing. My 11 month old dd always wakes up around 6:00 when SO is getting ready for work. When he leaves for work he always goes and gets her out of her crib and brings her in bed and we sleep a couple of more hours together. I love it! He always puts her at the end of the bed and she crawls all the way up to the top and flops on my pillow. It's so sweet. When we wake up we usually just lay there for 30 minutes "talking". I hope she never out grows this. It's a special bonding thing we do and I think we both look forward to waking up next to each other.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• This is fine! Do some research on attachment parenting and cosleeping. There is no harm in this at all.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 11:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I do it too. I dont think it'll do anything phyically or mentally...besides all mommies like to snuggle with there babies and really i'm to tired at 3am to try and get mine back in the bed!
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2009