a few questions..opinions please...

My son is going on 8 months, and hes starting to do things where e needs to start learning the meaning of no, and what the consequenses will be if he doesn't obey. But me and my husband disagree in so many ways on how to disipline him. Plus, we have been arguing on whethter he should be able to use curse words or not. So whats your opinion?

How do you feel about spanking for disipline?

How do you feel about letting them use curse words?

How do you feel about grounding them?

How do you feel about Time-Out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• divorce. no, i'm kidding.
    how can you argue on how to use curse words? that's crazy. you two must of grown up in two competely different households! are there really parents out there that think that's okay? those might be the ones that smoke pot with them when they're 15. ha. (i hope you aren't one of them...umm sorry to offend you if you are!!)
    i think he may be a little young for spankings. time out probably won't work with an 8 month old...nor grounding, for that matter.
    i would think, plain ole "NO!" would be enough to hurt his poor little feelings to let him know when you mean something! he's just a little man.
    samkimber80

Answer by samkimber80 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• (First of all, my opinions dont really apply to an 8 month old...they arent old enough at that age to understand no)

**I think spatting them is okay...I dont know if I really believe in SPANKING

**I dont think that they should be able to use curse words...it is a little disrespectful

**I think they should be grounded if need be

**I totally believe in time-out
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 10:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• spanking works if you dont do it in anger
    cursing/cussing should never be allowed by/to children
    time outs work if they're kept short
    grounding at this age is meaningless, but will work in about 3-5yrs
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Wow. Discipline should not even be an issue yet at 8 months old. As far was spanking to each their own. If you do never do it in anger. Children should not be able to cuss. There is no discussion on this one. If you allow your child to cuss be prepared for them to live in the principle's office once they start school. Grounding works as long as it is appropriate for what they have done. Time out is good. A child should be given one minute of time out for each year they are old.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Spanking works when used in the right way. 8 months is way too young to spank, IMO.

Kids should not use curse words. Its disrespectful and just plain ugly.

Grounding works very well for older kids. (school age)

Time-outs work well for some. Not so well for others.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't believe in spanking
    kids shouldn't be allowed to cuss
    grounding when they are older
    time-outs don't always work
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• wow, this sounds like my son, but he's 2. I swatted his hand and told him no. He was constantly getting into everything that was bad, and that helped until he got a little older. Now, I've done time outs, but he could care less, I wouldn't take cussing, hasn't happened yet thou, I will ground him when he gets bigger, and I do spank, don't like it, but it's the only thing that seems to get through to him. Now, anyone know how to make them quit climbing where they shouldn't(he scales dressers, bookcases, the sides of his toddler bed, the toy chest, entertainment center, etc, you get the idea, if he can climb it, he will.)?
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 4:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Of course discipline needs to be an issue at 8 months if he's getting into things! If she starts letting him get away with stuff now, it's only going to be that much harder to discipline him later!

Right now...a simply remove him, give him a modified "time out" (sit for maybe 30 seconds...enough to break his attention)

Spanking is right for some and not for others...you have to decide what you're going to do.

Curse words coming from a kid? Not only is it disrespectful, but he's going to be in a TON of trouble at school!

Grounding...yep!

Time out....big proponent!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• How do you feel about spanking for disipline? I will spank, but only when nothing else is working

How do you feel about letting them use curse words? I don't like it, but my husband thinks it's hilarious

How do you feel about grounding them? I think it's effective as long as you don't go overboard. Grounding a child for months on end is pretty pointless, I think.

How do you feel about Time-Out? I think it should be one of your first strategies.

With an 8m old, your best form of discipline right now would be to say NO and distract him into doing something else.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 6:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• How do you feel about spanking for disipline? I agree with it

How do you feel about letting them use curse words? Absolutely not

How do you feel about grounding them? I agree with it when they get older

How do you feel about Time-Out? I agree with it, my kids have to stand in the corner.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2009