I have been trying for months to get my son to hold his own bottle and eat. He only plays with it and his sippy cup. I know that if he will hold a cookie and a sucker and eat it on his own, he can hold his own bottle. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get him to or if it matters? Is it important and how old should he have been to do this?He is already 10 months old. Help...i'm soooo stressed

sara3308

Asked by sara3308 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter wouldn't hold her either, i think mine was just lazy lol, i would just lay it on her chest or put it in front of her and she would pick it up : )
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it too much....he is about to be a year in a few months right? Then he won't need a bottle anymore. But until then I would show him how to hold it and then give it to him without help....if he is hungry enough he will get it himself. My son was the same way....it only took a few days and then he realized wow I really need to get this in my mouth.

And try a few sippy cups with different handles....drinking parts.....sometimes they are pretty particular about which type and kind they will use. If not.....then again wait until he is thirsty enough. he will figure it out

I hope this helps....its only my opinion, but maybe helpful.

Anonymous

• awww...Don't B stressed. People Don't Ever realize that babies N toddlers are all different. My Daughter still could not use a sippy on her first b-day I think she was like almost 14 mons. As long as U are giving him the chance to learn he will figure it out. Some Takes Longer than others, But its no big deal.He will Do it When he feels like it. Don't Let any1 Tell U how old your child should be when he start doing something.
    LainysMommy

Answer by LainysMommy at 10:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I assume that he gets plenty of time being in your arms still, even though you don't HAVE to hold him to give him his bottle ... Nursing (bottle or breast) is an all-involving, emotional experience of being comforted and cradled, a day-dreamy time which nourishes the sense of well-being along with the physical body. When he holds something for himself, it calls for him to be alert and applying his will-power. He might not be ready to cut short the phase of his life when he can have this day-dreamy bliss of being held and fed. (Remember that they've discovered that when young children are absorbed in a day-dreamy zone, it promotes exponential brain growth ! )
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It's really not a big deal. You can see if he'll be happier holding a cup.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• He's still a baby. Give him a break and hold his bottle for him. In 20 years, I guarantee you he wont suffer a bit for not having held his own bottle ... what, are you afraid he'll never figure out how to hold a cold one in college? He's still small. Learn to enjoy the time you spend with him while feeding him. It's a welcome respite from the chaos of the rest of what life with a soon-to-be-toddler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2009