How do you break twins from getting rocked to sleep?

My twin boys are almost 9 months old and have slept in the same bed since they were born. I have rocked them this whole time...but I am getting another bed this week and want to start putting them in bed and have them fall asleep alone and without me rocking them...How do I do that. I figure I can put them down and let them cry it out until they fall asleep. but it took over 30 minutes which makes me so sad. Any suggestions??

jephriesmith

Asked by jephriesmith at 10:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well what we did with our twins was get them a soft teddy bear or whatever they like most. take their baby blankets and you sleep with the blanket to get your scent on them so they dont feel lonely.then my husband would stand by the crib of one baby and i would by the other baby and pat their back sing to them,talk to them tell them is ok to fall asleep on their own.if crying occurs just rock them a lil while once they get drowssie lay them down. good luck i was so happy when i didnt have to rock them anymore.i was like"yay my arms will rest" i missed it after though. sometimes i would rock them just to do it.good uck
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 10:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Well, my first two were 18 months apart, and at first we had them in different beds (in the same room). But when we made a change, I went to a double bed for them both - they went to sleep more easily (which makes sense - I mean, think about it: when you're used to sleeping with your spouse doesn't it seem cold, lonely and more tense to sleep alone?) A big plus was that they stayed warmer during the night AND when I was reading the bedtime story, they could both be under the covers IN bed, getting warm and sleepy while I lay in the middle with a little head on each shoulder looking at the pictures.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I don't have twins but my daughter had that problem, what i did was lay her in bed, (they will cry) wait 3-5 minutes and go in there tell them you love them and they needs to go to bed, then tuck them back in and leave, they will cry still, wait 5-8 minutes, go in and repeat, keep doing this, until they falls asleep, they will know that your not far away but also know that they aren't gonna be taken out of there crib, trust me, it works, my daughter never lasted past 15 minutes, and it usually works within the next week, my daughter goes right to sleep when i put her down now : )
    hope i could be of comfort and advice,
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2009