Adult daughter moving back home

My adult step daughter is moving back home she broke up with her fiancee she is 27 and has a good job, she just doesn't want to live on her own, my husband and my step daughter expect her to live rent free here, and for me to cook and clean for her, I told them absolutely not what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• She would need to pay rent or some sort of bills at my house! & I wouldn't mind making dinner for the family, but she would need to help clean & contribute to the house.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2011

• I think she is old enough and capable of paying her own way. She definitely needs to contribute.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2011

• Is this a permanent situation or until she gets over her break up? I would expect her to contribute in some small way - to make up for the added food, electricity, etc. And I would expect her to help with cleaning and do her own laundry. But if it's my daughter, she can always come home and not have to pay "rent"

Answer by missanc at 3:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2011

• Obviously she needs to pay rent, do her own laundry,help clean, and help with groceries.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2011

• imo she needs to pay rent and be responsible for bills and groceries I am not going to coddle her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2011

• If it is not a permanent situation, I would just let her stay free and just as long she does pick up after herself, do her own laundry & all that but if she is staying longer than adapt to then I would just get her to pay little bit if she does work & all that have her own responsible then I don't see why can't she help out a little bit.
    breezymommie

Answer by breezymommie at 3:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2011

• breezy-she plans on staying a long time, and I don't believe in letting adult kids move home to mooch you want to move back home thats all fine and well but you will help out financially.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2011

• I would expect her to pay rent and if your husband is expecting you to cook for her and clean up after her i would be giving her a weekly bill for my services.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 3:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2011

• I moved back in with my mother when I was 19 or 20, stayed for about 1 month and paid 200.00 a month, clean up after myself and son and cooked dinner 2 times a week and I thought it was very generous of her. At my own place i have to pay ALL of the bills, cook dinner EVERY night and clean the WHOLE house. She definitly needs to have some type of responsibility at 27.
    SamanthaMR

Answer by SamanthaMR at 3:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2011

• Do you have any kids of your own or only step children?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2011