Can you give a baby too much fruit?

I am planning on pureeing some prunes for my 9 month old but I have been "warned" that prunes are too high in sugar. Does this argument hold any water? My son does tend to like sweets more but he also loves avocados, beets, carrots, peas and egg yolk. I wouldn't be serving the prunes to him straight, I would mix them with cereal, yogurt and such. Despite my ideas for mixing I have been told that they would spike his blood sugar way too high.

Quayla

Asked by Quayla at 10:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What you're being told sounds valid to me. And generally, give a child younger than a year COOKED fruit so it won't require too much effort from his digestion. La Leche League has great information, very detailed, for feeding babies and young children. Try out their website - you'd be amazed!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Prunes are great. You just can't give too much you know? Like prunes every meal, every day. And that goes for any fruit. You sure can give yourself diabetes w/fruit, I did it w/my 1st pregnancy
    HeartsLove

Answer by HeartsLove at 12:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2009