Does everything really go bad

by those dates on the bottles etc. I know dairy products and meat obviously apply situation, but what about something like olive oil? Do we just put dates on everything to feel more comfortable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I dont know. I dont use anything if the sell by date has come and gone. My husband has a super sensitve stomach and sometimes if you give him something past the sell by date (nothing like milk or yogurt) he will be either throwing up or sitting on the toilet. Its just safe if I dont use anything past sell by date.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I've heard that once you open a bottle of oil it's really only good for about a months time. I'm from Canada and my church has been given food from some mission to give to families who can use it. According to the Canadian health whatever even though packaged items are past their ex. date they are still good.
    Yogurt can be good for up to a week past it's date.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It's a guideline really..its really a "best if used by". It does not become unediable after that date, but the quality of the item may be diminished. It doesnt mean if you eat a can of soup that is a week past its date that you are going to keel over and die. When I was a kid (in the 70's & 80's) the only thing that had a date on it was the milk & the bread. Now they put it on everything from green beans to hand lotion!
    Anonymous

• I know that it is important for a lot of fresh things, but I seriously have a hard time believing a box of macaroni and cheese goes bad...how spoiled can dry noodles and cheese powder go?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Answered at 11:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 by: kabbot01
    I know that it is important for a lot of fresh things, but I seriously have a hard time believing a box of macaroni and cheese goes bad...how spoiled can dry noodles and cheese powder go?

EXACTLY! How the hell are noodles going to spoil?

I too was looking at my Eucerin at the EXP 10/something of 0something and was like what the ham!
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Our family motto: If in doubt, throw it out. Food poisoning is no fun.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 12:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• processed food will "break down" after the experation date. It won't kill you, it will just taste different. All other food like dairy and meats, you should consume within 3 days of experation date to be safe.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I forgot to add that lotions and pills and anything no-ediable...the ingredients start to breakdown and dissolve after experation and a year after said date..that product is really no use.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• olive oil will ferment and taste bad after the exp date, and sometimes lotion gets lumpy if its really old.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 12:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I always go by the date printed on the containers because there is a reason for them.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2009