my baby (7 mnths) is tugging on his left ear, does this mean an infection? and are there any kinds of medicine for such? how long should i wait b4 i check with the doc?

MaVie

Asked by MaVie at 10:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would go ahead and go to the doc, but it doesnt always mean an infection. If your baby is crying while doing it then something might be wrong.
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Well if he is not sleeping well at night and is extremely crabby than yes it might be a sign, but I would not assume just because of an ear tug that he has an ear infection, just keep and eye on it. My daughter alwasy pulled on her ear when she was tired...SO I donno, but if he does have one and since he is over 6 mons baby ibuprofen (motrin) would be the best for releif. Its better for ear infection because it helps w/ inflammation more than tylenol, but I only know that from havin multiple ear infections as a child. Good luck!!
    LainysMommy

Answer by LainysMommy at 11:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Another possibility is that he has "found" his ear. That is what happened with my baby when I thought she had an infection!
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 11:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Not unless its accompanied by crankiness, restlessness and such..other than that ur baby probaly just found his ear..and likes playin with it. My son does it all the time!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Until you can get to the doctor, so he can look into his ear, keep a hat on his head to keep it warm (light wool, with earflaps & ties - so as to keep the side of the neck from being chilled by exposure to the air). ... Keep his feet warm, too, and his arms & legs dressed with at least one layer. This way he won't be losing body heat and his energy can focus on dealing with any illness instead of going to keep the body warm. Ear infection is directly connected to the throat, so avoid giving him sweet things like juice. But DO give him extra fluids so that any mucus which is happening can stay watery and easily drain from the ear down his Eustachian tube (which runs from behind ...(cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• (cont'd) ... behind the earlobe, down behind the jawline and along the side of the throat) Since he's probably breastfeeding, a good way to give him extra fluids is with weak fennel tea (1 seed in a cup of boiled water). Hold him a lot so he is warm from your body, and is relaxed. ... If he DOES have an ear blockage, you can massage down the Eustachian tube very gently with a finger to encourage drainage. The doctor can show you ... Best wishes !
    waldorfmom

• Babies tug on their ears for many reasons..
    The most common is tiredness. Next would be teething.
    If he doesn't seem sick, if he doesn't seem to be in pain, then I would guess one of those, not an infection.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Oh, and your other question - any medicines for it - check out Weleda Pharmacy online. They have homeopathic remedies which are excellent choices to use for children.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• thanks for all your help ladies, went to the doctor and seems he's found his ears.:)
    MaVie

Answer by MaVie at 7:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2009