Can you suddenly become allergic to something when you're pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont know. I am lactose intolerant and have very bad reaction to dairy products. It seems that during this pregnancy...I am not (I have been taking advatage of that with milk shakes from Steak-n-shake, and ice cream cones from dairy Queen). But I dont know if an allergy pops up because your pregnant but I know allergies can just pop up. Maybe it was a coincidence.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You can suddenly become allergic to something at any point in your life so yes you can. Just a few years ago I because allergic to shellfish.
    Anonymous

• yes, I loved to eat the cheerios and yogurt cereal I ate it all the time, and as soon as I got prego I threw it up instantly!!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I am allergic to a lot of things but then when I got prego the first time I became allergic to beans.... I still can't eat them.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• YES! It can also have the reverse effect where things you WERE allergic to, you aren't anymore.
    amc9184

Answer by amc9184 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Yes. Hormones and the dialation of blood vessels can cause alot of strange things to happen. I have an allergy to apples now, and I used to eat them everyday.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 11:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• YEP! I became deathly allergic to latex last pregnancy. Pregnancy makes you a lot more sensitive to allergies.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• at any point you can become allergic to something, especially during pregnancy. I suddenly became allergic to TUMS this pregnancy. This sucks cause that is what I use for heartburn.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• vickwu.... I had the same thing but backwards... lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am the same as the first poster... After pregnancy, I could handle milk much better.
    As the second poster said, at any point in your life you can develop an allergy... your body will only take so much before it fights back. I forget how my doctor said it, but the gist of it was that you can't be allergic to something that you have never been exposed to. You have to have exposure for your body to produce the reaction.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009