Getting a child to bed!

My three year old just recently got a new bed and up to now she has slept with us due to the fact we didnt have alot of money for a proper bed for her and i am trying to get her to sleep in it. Any suggestions?

caudill_autumn

Asked by caudill_autumn at 11:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just keep puting her in everytime she gets out
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my son slept with me until he was almost 3. I was a single mom and didnt mind him in my bed because it was big enough for both of us. The problem came when i moved in with my husband...baby didnt like to sleep in his own room let alone his own bed. It took us less then a week of putting him in his bed telling him good night and reading him a story. Yes he cried and yelled for me so I would go in there and tell him I loved him but good night. Dont give in a in a few days it will be a cake walk!
    Florence_22

Answer by Florence_22 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Just keep trying...also will she lay in there to rest for a nap? just let her get used to it and eventually she will stay there! Good Luck!
    MYnKURTMOM

Answer by MYnKURTMOM at 1:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We had a hard time getting out son to go to bed too. I was one of those moms who rocked their kids to sleep knowing I shouldnt. When it was time for him to go to a big boy bed we had trouble. Try a routine. Bath, book night kisses and hugs. Even put a cup of water is in her room so she doesnt play the im thirsty game. I agree with the other moms everytime she gets up of out of her room keep puttting her back in. It might take some time but soon she will know that big girls have to sleep in their own beds. You can also leave on some kind of soft light untill she is asleep. Sometimes rewards work with kids. It doesnt have to be something big.
    mommy020407

Answer by mommy020407 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Here's what I did: Once he was in bed, he was given a snack and water to drink. I would read to him then suddenly "remember something I forgot" and tell him I would be right back. Then I came right back - I would keep doing this, each time leaving the room for longer and longer and always coming back. This only took a couple of days to get him used to falling asleep on his own without tears. My son also decided that he needed something of mine to hold, so he would take my hair clip out and click himself to sleep. When I left, I would also offer him the choice of keeping his door open or closed, trying to give him as much control over the situation as possible. My son also knew where I was and sometimes would call out (but not leave his bed), and I would respond...generally with one last hug. If he wasn't in bed, then no hug until he was.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2009