help

anybody have any suggestions for hair loss while breastfeeding. I know she's sucking all my nutrients out of me but is there anything I can take that is safe for her? anybody had this problem?

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How strange! I was going to post a question about hair loss. I am also breastfeeding and losing an enourmous amount of hair. I shed all over the bed, my baby, my clothes, and my shower is always clogged with hair. I run my hands through my hair and there is always stray pieces in my hand. I have just started taking a prenatal daily and I wasn't doing that before, my pediatrician said it wasn't necessary, but after some research I decided I should continue taking it. I look forward to other responses and wanted to let you know you're not alone!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 11:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I went through it too. After a while it just stopped. I think your ok, but I dont know anything you could do to stop it.
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Ladies, things like hair loss pretty much come from a nutritional deficiency. ... my hair was thinning and I was getting lots on my hairbrush, so I looked up hair loss online and checked out the nutritional advice. Including foods that were missing from my daily routine, and adding some vitamins got me back to normal. Do look it up. ... I'm not vain about my hair, but I took it as a sign of what was going on INSIDE my body. The same deficiencies that cause hair loss are connected with irritability, depression, mood swings ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It is normal.
    You probably noticed with pregnancy that your hair got thick and healthy - that was due to the hormones.
    Well, now that your hormones are leveling out again post pregnancy, you are losing all of that lucious hair.
    It has nothing to do with BFing. It's a post-pregnancy thing that every woman deals with, usually by about 6 months post partum.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• take prenatal vitamins you still need them if you are nursing to help replace the nutrients your baby uses up
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Hair loss is normal and not realated to breastfeeding. It's because when you were pregnant your hair stops falling out as much... that is why you have GREAT hair when you are pregnant. Then a month or so after the baby is born your hormones go back to normal and TONS of hair starts falling out... it seems like you might go bald... but it's really just as much hair as you had before you became pregnant.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2009