What kind of bread-thing should I serve with rice and beans?

I am on a tight budget until the 14th and I am buying a big thing of rice and dried beans(protein; don't eat meat) {as well as fresh veggies} and I like to have some kind of bread with it. Any suggestions?

AmandaI1021

Asked by AmandaI1021 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I've been eating egg bagels,taste great with a little salt on it,like a soft pretzel.I love french bread right out of the grocery stores oven,cinnamon rolls are yummy too,gotta get your fat some where!
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Pita. It is inexpensive and can be toasted. You could also make a hummus dip to go with it. The ingredients are cheap and this will give you another protein choice.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 11:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• corn bread?
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Corn bread but not the Jiffy kind the real kind with sweet corn and red peppers. I think that it will fit your theme.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I dont have a theme. I dont eat corn. or red peppers really. But thanks!
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• They sell a cheddar-garlic sourdough at Trader Joe's.. sooo good just toasted with some butter on it.. yum.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Rice and beans are a complete carbohydrate. I wouldn't serve them with any kind of bread. I might pick up some bell peppers or some anaheims and do stuffed peppers, or some tortillas and scoop em, but that aside I'd just eat them as is.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Well the complete protein and complete carb is just a myth. I like bread and I like to eat my beans with it. I don't like cinnamon rolls really and that would cost money that I dont have. I have like 55$ to last til the 14th. I want naan but it is expensive bc me and the kids can eat right thru it and it is 2.50$ for a pack of two I think. I dont eat eggs and try not to eat stuff that has a whole lot of egg in them. I do love french bread! (Note to self, look for fresh french bread! :D)
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• corn bread is made with corn meal...not kernals of corn. It contains 1 egg for 6 sevings. it is the most traditional thing to eat with rice-n-Beans
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• if you don't like cornbread, try spoonbread... its sweeter. Also tortillas, mentioned above, are a good idea.
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 11:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2009