Lawyer for Separated Parents. Child custody issues.

Now my second question is: Does anybody know a good family lawyer in Sacramento? Would going through the courts myself be faster then getting a lawyer? Thanks for all the responses.

Sillymemommy11

Asked by Sillymemommy11 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It won't usually be faster, but it will cost less. Thing is you'll have to put a lot of time in at the local law library leaning the ins and outs of court. If you represent yourself you are held to the same standard as a lawyer, and subject to all the same rules. On the family law forum I frequent they don't suggest going pro bono until you've gone a few rounds with a lawyer so you have an understanding of the process.

If you and the ex agree on everything there's no need of a lawyer, but if there's going to be a 'fight' you're better off with one.

Sorry I can't help with recommendations.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I think desert diva is exactly right - if it's fairly friendly, you're ok on your own. Otherwise, you're best off getting a professional. There's a lot of detail in the law, and that can really trip you up.
    One thing: It's called "pro se" when you represent yourself. ("Pro bono" means a lawyer working for free.)
    cbrzeski

Answer by cbrzeski at 7:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2009