Low Immunoglobulin results

My DD had bloodwork done. Results for immunoglobulin have come back abnormal. IGG levels are 310(normal range 453-916) and IGA levels are 14(normal range 20-100). All the DR could tell me is her immune system may not be working right and to see an immunologist. Online research suggests anything from allergies to leukemia. The tests were ordered by pulmonologist we started seeing for possible asthma. She's been doing fine though and this was expected to be her discharge appointment. We didn't see our normal DR and the DR we did see was useless. My DD has not been sick so I don't understand how her immune system can not be working. I'm calling our regular DR tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, with low IGG/IGA or if her immune system is not running right, how do immunizations factor in the equation (vaccinate or not?) We currently have not, but had planned selective VAX starting at 2 yrs.

BriMom2007

Asked by BriMom2007 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Try not to worry too much until you get all the facts. My dd has a low white blood cell count for a while. Doc didn't say anything about it except to come back and check again. I looked on line and kinda freaked. We tested again the next week and it was still low, but doc said it just meant she had a viral infection since other levels were good. The following week it was back to normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Every lab uses its own ranges and, in another lab, those numbers would be well within the normal limits of variability, so I wouldn't be all that concerned about her levels, especially if she is otherwise healthy. Just like with the labs, people have their own normal ranges too. And, for the under 2 year old set, the levels aren't going to be all that accurate anyway b/c many children have not yet fully developed their adult immune system response yet and are still running off of what mom gave them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2009