Is it normal for my 4 wk old to hard poo?

He strains to go and then when he finally does it's hard. I mix his formula the right way... Ugh...

AmberMoffat

Asked by AmberMoffat at 9:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I added a bit of prune juice to the formula. It works, and isn't harsh on their tummies.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 1:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• yes, it's normal. My babies went through all stages of poo. They're 3.5 months and i get a variety of textures and colors everyday. His lil body is just learning how to process all the next items and so, just keep at it. Maybe you could try some gas drops--it would ease some of the pressure....
    jsks826

Answer by jsks826 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• No it's not normal . Add more water to the formula . If it doesnt improve in 24 hours call the MD. Gas drops contain simethicone and cause constipation and worse gas . Use sparingly and not for constipation .
    jamiinvegas

Answer by jamiinvegas at 10:38 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My son was like that he got fishers and at 6 months was diagnosed with a milk and soy allergy after we tried everything. I'd say talk to you peds before doing anything. this could be normal for you baby or it could not. My son is now 6 and healthy as ever.
    KrissyK

Answer by KrissyK at 1:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• amber, because you are using soy formula it is very likely that the formula is the cause. you can do some exercises to assist with that (moving his legs in and out and up and down), rub his belly, vasoline on his bottom. when my DD was like this they said it is normal to go up to 2-3 days without going but after 3 days you should call your dr. at 4 weeks i would not give him juice unless directed to there are suppositories they can prescribe to make it easier but IMO those do not work and are awful for you and your little one! GOOD LUCK HTH
    karen143

Answer by karen143 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2008