Head tossing/rolling side to side

My 7 month old son is doing this a lot and I'm wondering why. He tosses his head rapidly from side to side for a few seconds, stops, and then does it again. He does it throughout the day (not at any particular time, from what I can tell), and even does it in his sleep sometimes! Has anyone else seen this behavior in their baby, and/or figured out what's going on?

Mamastheword

Asked by Mamastheword at 12:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he might just be being silly.
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yeah...he probably likes the way things look when he does that. You know, like when older kids spin around in circles and fall down on the ground?
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 12:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I hadn't thought of the "silly" angle yet. :) But I wonder, since he even does it in his sleep, if there could be any other reason?
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 12:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• maybe he's dreaming when he does it in his sleep. Kids are crazy and do crazy things that look....well crazy.
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• lol, my daughter did this for the longest time and thought it was funny... If he's not showing signs for anything else I wouldn't worry about it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am sure he is fine,cute lil guy! lol
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 1:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son did this funny side to side thing too. At first I thought there was something wrong! (first time mom) ... but, he was just being goofy ... and using his body. Hes totally fine ... a happy, silly little 5 month old now.
    jennie829

Answer by jennie829 at 1:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• LOL! My son will be 5 months this week and he does this too. Only he does it when he is going to sleep. It's almost like he is trying to find that perfect comfy spot for his little head! I've never thought I should be concerned about it though. If you feel a little worried about it I would mention it to the pediatrician and see what they say. Im sure they can put your mind at ease. I wouldn't worry. :0)
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 3:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• haha i mentioned to my pediatrician and as soon as i said it, ella did it and the doctor laughed and said it looks like shes being silly and likes the way it feels. She mainly does it when shes tired, its like shes' shaking her head back and forth saying nono, and then she gigglles..she's 6.5 mnnths.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 8:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009