Why do so many people consider prisoners less worthy

of basic necessities then others? Yes, prisoners commited a crime or crimes, but, does that make them subhuman where they should be exposed to cruelty above and beyond the punishment of incarceration? Such as beatings, food contaminated with rodent and insect droppings, prisons lacking proper ventilation systems where it is freezing in the winter and over 100 F in the summer and so forth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't believe that just sending a criminal to prison does any good anyway. Those that need it should get the death penalty and those who don't should get some sort of rehabilitation while in prison. Really teach them a trade so that they don't have to resort to crime when they are released.

There was talk of building a halfway house in a nearby suburb for rehabilitating ex-prisoners, but the people of that city shut it down quick. "Not in my neighborhood" blah blah blah. Where are they supposed to go? They have to live somewhere. If people would be more welcoming and supportive they might feel more empowered to do for themselves rather than to resort to stealing to take care of themselves.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Oh, but to answer your actual question, no. It is cruel and unusual punishment for prisoners to live in such conditions. I can't feel too sorry for cold-blooded killers, but there are a good number of people in prison who are not really bad people. They might have fallen on hard times and resorted to theft to feed their families. Especially in times like these, everyone losing jobs and close to losing their homes. It makes people desperate. Did you hear about the guy a few months back who killed his wife and child and then himself because he couldn't provide for them? I hate that he felt so helpless that he did something so useless and tragic.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The Attica riots were a result of services being removed from the prison. I agree that prisons do not do enough to rehabilitate inmates by teaching them life skills to be productive citizens. Angela Davis wrote a very interesting book about prisons called, "Why Prisons are Obsolete".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i dont think that people look at them as less of a human being but, i dont think that they need to be sitting around and watching cable tv all day and working out. they need to do something to give back to the community.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't know where you get your information, OP, but those things DO NOT happen in prisons in the United States. Some of the problems may exist in some widely scattered JAILS here and there, but not in the PRISONS. There is a difference between prison and jail. Prison inmates have a cushy life with personal radio and television, their choice of library books. If it's not in the penetentiary library they can request it from the city public library, free college courses that others have to pay for, lots of free time they can use to work to earn extra credit at the commisary, work out at the state of the art gym with weights etc, or just loaf around outside or sit in the dayroom or their own cells and read... The only place I've heard they have to actually DO something is in Arizona where the Sherrif makes them wear pink and work on chain gangs picking up trash beside the roads.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• And should prisoners have to pay for college classes? Where exactly would they get the money? I love the fact that at least those who want to better themselves while in prison can. Isn't it better than sitting around loafing all day?
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• ALL inmates give up their rights to "creature comforts" the day they CHOSE to murder/abuse/torture another HUMAN being...whether it was a man, woman or CHILD!!!!

Bleeding heart liberals make me want to hurl!

I'd like to know your feelings about convicts after YOU have been mugged, beaten, raped or your CHILD has!!! I'm sure you'll want to hang 'em yourself!

Perhaps if the US did have some form of major corporal punishment like they do in Malaysia(?) where you receive publish LASHINGS for the most misdemeanor of crimes, there wouldn't BE so much crime here in the US!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Ashland University, Ohio (a private college) PAYS for prisoners to goto school on grants and scholarships. The state also pays a portion at times.
    I couldn't afford to goto this school, but the state and university make it an oportunity for inmates? wtf?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Can you give a present day example(link) of prisoners in the US being treated as you describe?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• And if you are talking about Sherrif Joe (Maricopa County, AZ) I live there and he is the BEST thing to ever happen to the prison system.

You do the crime, you sure as hell do not deserve 3 full meals a day and cable tv. They can grow their OWN food, THEN they can eat better.

Prisoners getting a college education is WRONG. Fricken Liberals. They won't be happy till ALL the money in this nation is going to some sort of of SOCIAListic program and a free market no longer exsists.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Jan. 5, 2009