what's your reason for adoption a child? what child age did you adopt or considering to adopt?

thecat3

Asked by thecat3 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Adoption

• We're adopting because we want to be parents and share our families love with a child.
    I'm 30 and my husband is 28 (29 in March). The baby we're adopting is due next month!
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 3:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We're adopting my cousin because his mother leads a very irresponsible lifestyle and abandoned him at a "friends" house. He was placed in state custody and his mother doesn't seem to really care much as long as she can still party and do what she wants. He's a good kid and deserves a chance and I couldn't live with myself if I just let him remain in foster care homes till he comes of age. He is 14 now and we've had him for a year. My fiance and I are both 32 and we have 2 other teens and a 5 month old. In fact, the day we found out we were getting my cousin, we found out we were pregnant too! It's been fun!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 3:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We adopted because of our longing to become parents and be able to share our love with "our" child. After almost 8 years of failed fertility treatments, we brought our daughter home when I was 33.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We adopted because of our love for children, and wanting so much to be parents. We would consider infant up to 5 years old to adopt, but would consider all and any situation. After years or prayers we adopted privately and have had our son who is now 3, since he was an infant. When we finally adopted I was 38 years old. I would honestly love to adopt again...
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We decided adoption long before our "secondary" infertility, but I think that was God's way of preparing us. We adopted through foster care and our daughter was 2 days old when we brought her home. She was 15 months when the adoption was official. We have decided that we are done with babies (our daughters are 6 months apart - yeah, little miracle followed our adopted daughter) and our next goal is to adopt a boy about 5-8 years old.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 10:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We chose adoption because we wanted to expand our family, love a child, and raise a child. Adoption worked for us. It was not because we couldn't have children of our own so to speak. Adoption was our first choice. Always. We ultimately went with a private domestic adoption and we specifically pursued an infant transracial adoption. I can't say that there were not ups and downs. There were. We are now set on fostering an older child, a girl. We may adopt a child in foster care but for right now we are doing one thing at a time. My son is two now and it will most likely be another full year before we have a foster child in our home. But for now we are taking classes and getting our home prepared.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• cont...It is not even a desire that I have to birth any children. I have never needed to do that. I have a lot of reasons for this. But I don't feel I need to explain those to anyone. If it makes people feel better to think I can't have children....well I just don't correct them. It is my business not the world's. I know that I am creating the family that is right for me, my husband, and my child/children.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My oldest 3 my ex and I adopted because we wanted a family and couldn't have one. My current hubby and are in the process of adopting our grandson and it may possibly be our grandaughter as my daughter is just not capable of putting anyone else first in her life and has lost custody.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• when we do adopt , it will not be a baby. i have had my share of babies, and there are so many older kids that will never be adopted because the majority wants a tiny baby. my brothers were adopted when i was a year old, they were 3 and 4. we know that we will adopt at least 1 child, within the next 5 years, and we are hoping to adopt between 5-10 years of age.
    my reason for adoption is that my brothers were adopted, and there is no greater gift you can give to a child.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Someday........when God's timing is right, we will adopt. Probably from Foster care, and age does not matter as long as the adopted child will be the youngest. So, right now, younger than 7.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 8:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009