Breast massage prior to giving birth?!?

Is it OK to start doing the breast massage to increase milk and colostrum production prior to birth?

I have just been getting little beads of clear milky fluid for weeks and then I followed the massage tips from a website and ended up squirting the monitor on my computer. LOL

Is this safe to do? BTW I am almost 35 weeks.

Thanks!

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just be careful when you do it. Massage or any nipple stimulation releases oxytocin and that can trigger contractions.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• No. Don't do it. There is no need to encourage that yet, it might cause stimulation for producing colostrum, but what would you want that for? It won't help with milk production.

BUT it can possibly cause preterm labor.  

There is no need!     ;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Its your hormones that are released after giving birth that stimulate you to produce milk. You can't manually stimulate it to happen anyway. Be careful as the above poster said. The only good it might do is to help your nipples get ready to be sucked on. They might get a little sore the first couple of days. Mine did but it went away.
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 1:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Stimulating them now won't increase your supply. But it can stimulate contractions, which you don't want! The colostrum you're having is normal, just let it do what it's doing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Don't stimulate your breasts. It can encourage contractions, and you are much too early for that. Your milk will come in after your baby is born. I never have any colostrum when pregnant yet produce a ton of milk after the baby is born. What you're seeing now really has no bearing on your future supply.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2009