I need some simple advice on baby clothes.

I am expecting a baby girl and most of the clothes that I have are newborn and 0-3 months.

These clothes look VERY tiny. Is she really going to fit into them up to three months of age?

Should I have 3-6 month stuff on hand too right away?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes! They can give you an estimate on how big she'll be, but can't tell you for sure. She may not fit into newborn stuff. Another reason to have it on hand is because for the first three months she will grow incredibly fast! Congratulations by the way!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would. It depends how big your baby is when she comes out. Mine only stayed in her NB clothes for maybe a week. Her 0-3 month clothes for maybe a month. So, they don't stay in them long. She has stayed in her 12 month clothes now for about 4 months now. She's almost one year.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 1:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• with my daughter she grew outta shirts waaay faster than she did with pants..so i would have a couple extra pairs of shirts kickin around..but seeing as your child isnt even born yet, i wouldnt worry about it til shes here..when my girl was born she mainly just wore sleepers anyways..unless we went out..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Depends on how big she is. My son had newborn stuff and 0-3 when he was born and was swimming in a lot of it... (we actually went and got a bunch of premie stuff) he was 6-15 when he was born. He didn't outgrow his 0-3 until he was 3 months. He wasn't able to wear a bunch of stuff because of the season change before he was big enough to wear it. Then all of a sudden he got HUGE LOL and ourgrew his 3-6 month clothes in a month!
    I would wait and see how big she is when she is born... it's unlikely that she will need any 3-6 months right away... that way you don't spend money on things you don't need.
    In additon, people will probably buy her some things when she is born as gifts.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My advice for the first month or so. SLEEP SACKS. Walmart carries them and they are a must have. The hands fold over so they cant scratch their face. You can also change a diaper without all the hassel of taking clothes off. This is especially great when you are trying not to wake the baby too much in the middle of the night. I bought ALL kinds of clothes with my first child, with my second it was all sleep sacks and then pj's. Get some onesies too to put on under the sleep sack. Hope this helps
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 1:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• CONGRATULATIONS! I'm a first time mama too, so exciting. well my son will be 5 months in just a couple of days, and he barely fits into 9 month old clothes! newborn clothes i think he had three outfits and wore each on maybe twice tops three times, and all the rest just flew by. my advice to have some of all sizes... he weighed 6-12.5 when he was born and now he weights 20 lbs... so they grow super fast:)
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• my son wasn't ever able to wear newborn clothes and he was out of 0-3 and 3-6 very quickly.
    it would be a good idea to have a few alternate sizes on hand just in case.
    congrats!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yes, my daughter was wearing 3-6 months by 2 months and 6 months at 4-5 months. She is and has been right in the 50th percentile for weight and height, but her limbs seem long. She did stay in her newborn the whole first month, and they seemed big.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 1:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I thought the exact same thing and when I had my 7lb 8oz baby I was amazed at how big even the newborn clothes were on him! I kept thinking they were going to be too small but they were actually a little big. He fit into a few preemie outfits for a while even though he wasn't one. I couldn't put him into 0-3 months for the first few weeks. They do look really small but they will most likely fit her just fine. It's not a bad idea to have bigger sizes though. I noticed the Gerber onesies run kind of small. My son was able to fit into the 3-6 month Gerber onesies at 1 month.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My little girl was in NB clothes for a month and she still fits into some of her 0-3 at 4 months.. she kind of swims in 3-6- she was 7-15 at birth and is now about 15 or 16lbs. She's pudgy and short :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 1:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2009