co- sleeping.... gotta stop doing it... :(

i love co sleeping, i mean i almost think its harder on me then it is my 5month old son. I've been trying to stop the last week or so, I've just been having him sleeping his crib so naps. so I'm slowly switching. I'm thinking about seeing if he'll sleep in his crib tonight. its so much easier when he sleeps with me, because i can see him if i need to check on him and if he needs to breastfeed, i don't have to get out of bed. i always think that i could drop him if i take him out of his crib in the middle of the night, because I'm so tired. i also don't understand why he doesn't sleep through out the night. he eats baby food, cereal now. i thought that would help since it seems to help every one else, but he still wakes up at least once or twice in the night.... my husband hasn't slept in our bed for the past five months either, so hes kind of pushing it too, but he just doesn't understand. any advise or anything??help:(

havingaboy08

Asked by havingaboy08 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it's pushing your husband away than I would try to fix it. I had a port a crib right next to the bed for the first couple of months. That way they were still right next to you put not in the bed. GL
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 1:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Why do you want to stop co-sleeping??
    Waking up several times a night is normal at this age- right through to 18 months or two years, even..
    If your husband wants to sleep in the bed, then he'll come to bed.. If he refuses to, well, this is a relationship issue that has nothing to do with the baby- the baby is just the scapegoat.
    Both my 2 1/2 year old and 3 month old sleep with us, and my DH loves it. He likes knowing they're safe and not scared at night.
    Our 2 year old has no trouble sleeping in her own bed, either - for us it's currently a full family bed because of a recent move..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't worry that your 5 month old doesn't sleep through the night. As for dropping him, I have never heard of that from being tired. If you're breast feeding can you pump so your husband can help feed during the night so you can also get a full nights sleep too? Can you put the crib in your room, maybe that might help calm you a little. I would say that your husband does deserve to sleep in his own bed lol. I understand the need and comfort of sleeping with your child, but it could cause more problems down the road if he doesn't learn to sleep by himself. just my thoughts, hope it gave you some ideas. Good Luck
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 1:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• well thats the thing, i dont want him to be scared to sleep on his own. i want him to be okay to sleep by himself. and yes his crib in right next to my bed, but it still makes me nervous to not have him right next to me...
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Don't expect him to sleep through the whole night in the first year. It MIGHT happen but is most likely not to, no matte what you do.

There's an article on drjaygordon.com on transitioning baby from the family bed that should help.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• at that age it's still quite common for a baby to wake at night and require a feeding(or two or three or four, hehe..)
    introducing solids is not going to help that. in fact, it might end up making it worse. introducing solid food too early can cause baby's tummy to become upset resulting in even more night waking.

instead of stopping something that seems to work well for you and your child why not try to get your husband 'on your side,' so to speak.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I co-sleep, but my daughter's crib is right next to our bed. When either my husband or I are sick, we put the baby down in her crib to sleep. It's nice because it's close and I can still check on her without getting out of bed and so I can get her to feed when she wakes. Good luck!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 1:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If it makes you nervous to not have him next to you, why force the issue?? How will you possibly sleep any better if you're worrying about him, checking on him, and getting UP to nurse?
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Babyfood and cereal fill the stomach with fewer calories so it's more likely he will be hungry later unless he's started nursing more...or at least is still nursing as much.

Not all babies sleep through the night at 5 months. I will say, however, that for a brief period of time, I had the crib in my room (did not co-sleep, the baby was in his own crib...it was just in my room) and then moved the crib (and baby) to his own room. OH MAN! I wish I had done it so much sooner! Not only did I sleep better, the BABY slept better! Not suggesting you need to get the baby out of your bed, but offering my experience.

The crib is next to your bed. The baby is still "next" to you. You're not going to drop the baby.

Personally, I think you need to figure out a way to include your husband. You're co-sleeping, but you don't have a "family bed". Your husband is left out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• ME HUBBY AND BABY ALL LSEEP IN THE SAME BED BUT I REALY NEED TO GET HER IN HER CRIB AS WELL....GOOD LUCK
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2009