Neither of us are excited about getting married. Do we invite friends and family?

We love each other, get along great, are having a child together. We both have been through long marriages and we both vowed to never marry again.

Well now that we have a baby on the way we decided that we should marry for insurance and other reasons.

We are going to Vegas to elope this summer. Of course we want to marry each other or we would not be doing this but we just are not excited about it like our first marriages.

I am sure that this will be a blue jean wedding or an informal dress. Do we even bother to invite friends and family?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I'd do a small invite, just so I wouldn't have to hear it when I got back LOL
    Lizamafers

Answer by Lizamafers at 1:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My husband and I eloped and I wouldn't change it:) I loved that it was our day and we didn't have to worry about friends and family. We just had a very informal reception when we came back and it worked really well:) Congrats!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I SAY NO JUST HAVE A NICE RECPTION WHEN YOU GET BACK THAT WOULD BE WAY FUN !!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I totally agree with the party idea - make it lowkey and fun when you get back.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Dont get married just for insurance reasons. I know you love eachother but if thats the only reason why you want to marry him then dont. You will regreat it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• ANON 312 - sorry?

The OP is having a baby with this man but you think she might regret marriage?

Cart, horse, cart, horse, cart, horse.....gaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwkkkkk......

My brain is frying.......

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• just cause they are having a baby doesnt mean they should get married. she may STILL regret it. babies dont magically make happy ever afters you twit. YES she may actually regret it. It is STUPID without a doubt to get married for insurance purposes, and if your not excited. STUPID. but hey I dont care, its not me! Have a nice 2nd divorce in a year!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Wow.

Check out ANON, breaking out the "twit".

(brushes a tear from my eye)

Someone who can throw around a cool word like that should be (you'd think) able to read the entire post. OP clearly states she's in love with the guy and is ready to be married, just not excited about the actual wedding. And is it so completely uncool to think that marriage is less of a commitment than a baby? I mean, come on.

ANON, it sounds like you have some personal drama that you are pushing onto the OP.

But I gotta love the twit comment. That just makes my day.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Hold on here ANON! If we thought that we would not make it married, we would NOT get married! We have both learned our lessons from our first marriages.

We both see marriage as not a vow to each other but as a legal binding agreement that the government requires to get certain perks, if you will.

We don't want to spend all the money and hassle on a big white wedding, so we are going to Vegas to make things legal and party while at it.

We are not excited over the WEDDING itself. Of course we are happy that we both feel comfortable enough after our first marriages ended to make such a commitment to someone else again.

geez, get your undies out of a bundle.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Ok well the question did say...."Neither of us are exited to get married" not "neither of us are exited for a wedding" SOOOOOOOO if you go to Vegas i say no just you go and dont worry about inviting anyone!! If you both are not feeling the exitment of getting married that I say dont get married!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2009