Tried to google this but no answer found. What should I expect to my first visit with the perinatologist?

I need to know what to expect at my first visit with a perinatologist. My soon to be MIL will be taking me there for my first visit and I need to know if they ask all the questions like an OBGYN does at the first prenatal visit.

There are some things that my fiance and I don't want her knowing.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 2:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have never gone..but I would call up there and ask what kind of questions will be asked, and maybe they will let you fill them out on paper before the actual visit
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Can't you just ask her to wait in the waiting room? As much as I love my MIL, I am not sure I would want her to come in the room for a visit.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Why would she have to be in the exam room with you?

Paperwork ahead of time is a great idea. Also if it's that stressy-bessy, take a cab or bus to the appointment.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• FORGET GOOGLE GO TO ASK.COM THAT IS THE BEST SITE NOW !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I know when I had to go, I had to go to genetic counseling first and they asked my husband and I EVERYTHING. All types of family history and diseases and all kinds of stuff. The only thing they asked about sexual history was any prior or present STD's. They asked if he or I were currently using any drugs but I don't remember them asking if we used to or have in the past. I swear we were there for at least an hour answering questions! They took all that info and put it in my file so when I actually saw the perinatologist they didn't ask me anything really. Not sure what you don't want her knowing but they didn't ask about any personal sex life stuff, just mostly family disease history and our medical history.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:26 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• A perinatologist is very intensive. I wouldn't have her in the room if you don't want her knowing things. Give the receptionist a heads up about this and they can be the "heavy" when they bring you back in the room.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2009