Entitled adult step daughter

My 25 year old step daughter is mad at her dad and I because we won't give her a down payment for her house, we cannot afford to help her, if she wants to buy a house she needs to do it on her own, she said since we won't help her she won't talk to us anymore I think this is ridiculous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Well, I guess you would just need to call her bluff on this. She seems a little immature and inconsiderate to me.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 2:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2011

• Why is this even a question, you can't afford it and it sounds like she can't either.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2011

• Sounds like her loss.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2011

• Stick to your guns. Hopefully she figures it out for herself and realizes she's not a child and quits acting like one soon. It can be hard not to help your children out but the less you rescue the better!
    mrs.cta1217

Answer by mrs.cta1217 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2011

• Sounds like she is acting immature in hopes that will get her what she wants. She needs to be adult enough to understand that when you said you can't afford it, then that is the truth. Her childish antics shouldn't get her anything. This hits a nerve with me, I have always taught my own kids that "begging" doesn't get you anything, once I've said no it's no and if you "beg" you are getting punished. It was just one of the those things that irrated me and I would not tolerate. Well now I have my 12 year old granddaughter living with me and thinks she can "beg", scream, stomp her feet, slam doors, etc...and that through that behavior she'll get what she wants. Total opposite around here, and she will learn this lesson quickly, I hope! So hearing that your sdd is acting like this at 25 is ridiculous!! Stand your ground, call her bluff, let her not talk to you, let her pout. Hopefully she grows up some. :)
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 3:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2011

• How many spoiled step daughters are there really out there??
    Seems like every 3rd question on here is all about the spoiled, entitled step daughter.
    Anonymous

• What a punk. I'd not talk to her untill she grows up.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2011

• She is acting like a spoiled child.If she really wants a house, she can work for it like the rest of the world has to do. if she won't speak to you, that's her problem. You're probably better off without her drama.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2011

• You are right. She is definitely not ready to purchase a house. Do not lend her money at all. Do not allow her access to your bank accounts, credit cards, or valuables. She is a person in her own right and she must fulfil her own dreams. She does not get her life and yours as well.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't feel too bad. It sounds like she is a master manipulator. I would just say something like, sorry you feel this way but we refuse to be blackmailed.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 12:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2011