Relationships with brothers in law

My husband has 2 brothers and neither of them have any interest in who I am (I have been married to their brother for 10 years). They have never even bothered to ask when my birthday is. My husband says that it is my fault and I should try to get to know them more. I think they are selfish. By the way, I know their birthdays and their girlfriends' birthdays.

1funkymomma

Asked by 1funkymomma at 9:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• I know what you mean. I dont have a relationship with my brothers in law. They will say hi, how are you. Chit chat, but thats about it. Men, are so like that. They dont really want to know about b-days and sometimes don't remember anyones.
    kimsamomof3

Answer by kimsamomof3 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Of all my BILs, I have a relationship with only one. The other two are pot heads and drink a lot, which is why I'll never be accepted in their circles. I neither drink, nor smoke. They tolerate me because I am married to their brother, but that's about it. Good luck.
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 11:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• As long as you are happy not having a relationship with his family, there isnt any laws saying that you have to be all chummy with them. If you are wanting things to be more family oriented, then may I suggest sending birthday cards, etc. when their birthdays come around. Just "kill them with kindness" and drop something in the mail for them. Then when your birthday rolls around make a point to have a family bbq, or something of that nature. Men by nature arent very perceptive towards others feelings.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 1:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Why does this bother you? After ten years you should be used to it. I'm sorry but I see this from a different perspective. MY BIL, and his wife never leave us alone. They want us to attend every single family function, and be sociable, and all that crap. We just want to lead our quiet life. We aren't very social people, we both are very introverted. Some people just don't need to be close to everyone in their families. Maybe your BIL's want to be at an arms length.
    Anonymous