How can I get my daughter to eat more food?

browniemomie

Asked by browniemomie at 2:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let her help you make/prepare it. I also got a cook book called "deseptivally delicious" and it hides veggies in stuff like brownies ect. That might work for you...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I forgot to add...letting her help make the food makes her more open to try it. Start with goodies like rice crispy treats...easy to make and good. Then move to other things like soups ect. Tell her how proud you are that she helped you like a "big girl" and she will be more willing to try it, and eay more...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The above answers are great but the bottom line is YOU are in control of what food is presented, SHE is in control of what goes into her mouth.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I agree with Wimsey. You can only offer the food. She has to be the one to put it in her mouth.

Don't let her snack to much during the day. Don't let her fill up on liquids during the day. If she doesn't eat her meals, then she doesn't get anything until the next meal (she'll get fussy, but is more likely to eat)

Make sure she sees you eating what you've put before her. If you're eating something else...your stuff MUST be better.....in her mind.

Put smaller amounts on her plate. If there's too much on the plate it can seem overwhelming to a kid.

Rice Krispie treats....my kids won't eat them. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• One thing I did with my niece (who was 4 at the time) was I made a game of it. I told her we could dish up each other's plates. The only "rule" was you had to at least try a bite of the food put on the plate. You did not have to eat it if you did not like it, and you did not have to clean the plate. When dishing up I would say "oh, Grandma made potatoes, they look good, should we try them?" I would tell her what the food was and then ask if she wanted to taste it or try it. She would put some on my plate and I would put a tiny spoonful on hers. Would you know she ate everything on her plate and had SECONDS of some things? My step-fil almost dropped his teeth to see that little one actually eat instead of pick and waste food. (her step-mom and dad used to heap her plate up and she would take 2 bites, and throw everything away).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• With my own kids I offer them the food choices at supper (do you want some meat? some potato?, some corn?), and put small spoonfuls on their plates. I don't let my boys snack right before meals, and I don't let them fill up on drinks. I also keep foods they like on hand (yoghurt, applesauce, granola bars....) and offer things they like to them (especially if they do not like the days' meal plan).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I've noticed there are days when my toddler will live on 5 cheerios and one cup of juice. Other days she eats everything I offer. After the huge quanties of food they ate as babies, it can come as a surprise when a toddler stops eating very much. If that's what's happening in your house, it's normal. Just remember, since she eats so few bites, make every bite count. Only offer good things. If she likes helping to pick, give her fake choices like "do you want an apple or peaches"... not "do you want cookies or crackers".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son hates being restrained in his highchair, so for his breakfast and lunch I get a little table and out it in the kitchen and let him eat there, it actually helps most of the time. Sometimes I will make a few diffrerent items so he can chose what he wants, instead of always having the same thing. Also, cut out snacking completely (unless you are going to be out and about) and try to limit their milk before meals. Also, don't expect your toddler to be super hungry all the time, sometimes I eat more or less depending on the day. As long as they are eating something and at an average weight I wouldn't worry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My hubby and I used to stress about the "lack" of eating my son did. We never thought he was getting enough. The pediatrician told us to remember that toddler's bellies are quite small and that he would eat when he was hungry. He also told us that if we make an issue/battle out of eating, that would only deter our son more. Finally, toddlers eat ONE good meal a day...the other two are not as great (so the dr. says).
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:26 AM on Jan. 5, 2009