Five year old SS loves watching birthing and baby shows.

He is autistic and is expecting a baby sister within the next month. At first I would not let him watch the birthing shows but since daddy does not seem to mind him watching I started letting him watch with me.

We also watch parenting and new baby shows together.

Part of me says that it is inappropriate for him to watch, but another part of me says that it is educational.

What do you think?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 3:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think that you are his mom and mommy knows best. I mean it's not like your letting him watch sex or anything. It is as you say educational for him.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 4:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Personally, I applaud you for letting him be apart of this time. I don't know where on the autism scale he falls (being there is such a wide continuum on the spectrum)....but I do know that some children living with autism can get very focused on a particular theme. For right now this is his world - of course. It is your world too! So I say that it is not a problem. Birthing is normal. He is trying to make sense of it. I would also take him on a big brother tour of the hospital, have him help change so practice diapers, play with a baby doll that will be the same sex of your new one, and really get him involved. Is it age appropriate. YES. Relax, enjoy the alone time with your ss. You won't get those moments too often after your new one comes. Date your ss now. Share with him. This is his experience too.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I see no problem with it and as frogdawg said, he may very not really be aware of much else. I think that you should involve him as much as he is willing to be involved. The whole transition will go much much more smoothly when baby actually gets here.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I think as long as you're explaining what's going on and answering questions he may have (if he's capable of understanding that much), you're doing him a FAVOR. I plan on letting my four year old watch some of these shows when I get a little further in my pregnancy so he isn't shocked by any part of it.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I see no problem with it. My kids have always watched birth shows with me and always will
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009