How do you calm Really bad heartburn at 26 weeks pregnant?

i have really bad heartburn, i have drank milk, mylanta, tums, and every other possible thing you can think of that calms it, but nothing has worked, is this normal or do i need to talk to my doctor tomorrow and tell her its horrible,???

ShAyLaSMoMmY212

Asked by ShAyLaSMoMmY212 at 3:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• definantly tell doc.I am 22 weeks and dying from it-sometimes I take a pepid even(naughty!) because I get so bad I burp up acid(tmi sorry) .Hope she can help u.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I hate to tell you hun but sometimes there is no cure for the unbearable preggo burn.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 3:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You could ask your doc though they just might be able to help.
    Peekalou

• Zantac aka Ranitidine is safe during pregnancy, It is a category B medication, and is available over the counter. Ranitidine is the generic version and is MUCH cheaper than Zantac. You take it to prevent heartburn/acid reflux and it does work quickly.

It was prescription only up until a few years back and not it is available over the counter at a cheap price.

Still talk to your doctor about it, but chances are this is what she will tell you.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• thank you cuz it keeps me awake all night && if its not the heartburn its my baby boy kickin me ALOT lol
    ShAyLaSMoMmY212

Answer by ShAyLaSMoMmY212 at 3:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i took Tums and it helped somewhat
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 3:49 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yeah, milk always seemed to help for me. There might be something safe to take that the doctor can give you. Not sure but good luck! It gets better I promise :-)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I was put on a prescription strength of Pepcid during my pregnancy for my reflux, which was so bad, I would just throw up at random. I still took Tums when I needed them as well. Also, I found that citrus, chocolate and fatty, fried foods would make it worse. Try staying upright after you eat for at least 30 minutes, and east small, frequent meals. A lot of this is what your doctor will tell you, but definitely let her know that you are having these problems.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Tums is the worse thing to take for preg heartburn. It has aspirin in it. I would talk to your doctor about Zantac and you could try peppermint candy the one that is red disks. I have a dd who is nearly 3 and i still rely on my zantac or the candy to help with acid reflux. I would call your doctor and tell her how bad it truely is so they know and can make sure nothing else is going on.
    frndlyfn

Answer by frndlyfn at 5:10 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Something that really worked for me was chewin on a peppermint candy stick - that was before I found ECLIPSE peppermint gum. The candy stick helped as long as the candy lasted, but the gum seemed to last longer.  I had to chew two/three pieces at a time, but it worked for me.  It's like a major flavor blast in your mouth when you first  bite on it.  Plus, it's sugar-free.  I'd try that before I'd take any medicine.  Good luck with it. Oh, I have heard that if you have a lot of heart-burn, your baby will have lots of hair. Don't believe it!  I had heart-burn so bad I could probably burn out a jalepanio pepper in a farting contest, and my baby was born with frizz for hair - he looked like a velvet covered 8-ball.
    Quoiky

Answer by Quoiky at 5:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2009