Can he really know his name already?

My son just turned 5 months yesterday and whenever someone calls his name he turns and looks at them! He's been doing it with me for a while but I thought it was just because he heard my voice. But we took him to meet some family for the first time and he did it with them too. All they had to say was "Izaiah!" and he would look at them. It's kinda of weird...I didn't think they could recognize their name this early.

jessicarae787

Asked by jessicarae787 at 3:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, babies learn their names within the first few days of life.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• As this age, yes, he is responding to his name. With all apologies to Liyoness, I don't think it happens within a few days - but after five/six months, yup, they are getting it.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Babies are actually smarter than we give them credit for. They recognize a lot more than we realize, especially through our tone, facial expressions, and the words we use most often. So of course, a name could fall in there. Though - I mostly call my son Babyman still... and he responds to that more than his own name. :)
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 6:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Guess my kids are the odd ones out then.. My three month old has been responding to her name since her first week of life.
    *Shrug*
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009